HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Heater Core

Old 02-26-2012, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Heater Core

There's a strong coolant odor coming from the heating of my 1997 Tiburon, to the point where I'm freezing in my car! It's either saving hundreds of dollars of labor, or not having heating at all.

I researched that the heater core is messed up or clogged. It's located near the glovebox inside of the heating unit. Do I REALLY need to take the whole ________ fascia off in order just to get to it?!?!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFCM6TZgTMI
Old 02-26-2012, 05:42 PM

I recently helped rip a whole 97 tib down, and I dont think there is any way to get it out without taking apart the dash. I could be wrong tho.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:40 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Not even just by removing the glovebox itself?

Is it true that there is a heater filter that filters air?
Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 AM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

you will have to remove the center dash bezel to access it..

don't forget to disconnect the coolant lines first before you yank it out.

i always keep the heater blasted on full either in winter or summer in my car..it helps the coolant circulate through the lines and helps shed some of the engine heat..

and use premixed coolant..it doesnt contain minerals found in tap water that can clog the cooling system
Old 02-27-2012, 02:01 PM

As Tak said, youll likely have to remove the center facia. Its actually behind and to the left of the glove box, you also need to remove some screws and tabs that arnt readily available from the right side. The one we pulled had a foam think in the box (if i remember correctly), i wouldnt call it a filter tho. I wish i had kept that thing now, we dumped it and a bunch of interior parts Saturday