HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

head gasket? issue

Old 03-01-2014, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon
Default head gasket? issue

hello all!

my gf's j2 elantra has me baffeled-... she is loosing oil and killing coolant as of late. there is evidence of a oil leak around the valve cover gasket (which is new). the oil leak appears in the bolt indents in the valve cover ABOVE the gasket.

there is another leak coming from the thermostat/coil pack/ heater hose region. it's very dirty and I can't tell if it's oil or coolant. the car had issues w/ overheating so I replaced the radiator, cap, water pump, fan, thermostat, and all associated gaskets. cooling system was burped and was fine for a month. an overheating issue reoccurred recently. whilst refilling/burping coolant system tonight there were signs of possible oil in the coolant. the exhaust felt steamy but didn't show any abnormal smoke or scents.

am I right in thinking this could be a headgasket issue? warped head maybe?
Old 03-02-2014, 01:23 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Open the oil filler cap while the engine is running. Does steam puff out?

Check the underside of the filler cap. Milky deposits?

Check the underside of the rad cap. Milky deposits?

Check the dipstick. Milky deposits?

If yes to those, combined with the oil/coolant consumption, and steamy exhaust... you're probably right in thinking that it's a blown head gasket.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:36 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Even a newer engine will have signs of moisture under the oil cap and will probably show a little steam out of the opening at operating temperature.

Is the car overheating with the cooling system full? Or does it just overheat when she's running low?

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com...FcZZ7AodQgsAsg

^^ very handy tool. I pretty sure tool stores will even let you rent it. Not positive on that though.

I would get a funnel, they make special ones for radiators to make the coolant in the funnel the highest point in the system, but anyone you can stuff in the cap opening without leaking will work. Fill it up so you have your own "resivoir" and at operating temp, tstat open, you will see a continuous stream of little bubbles going to the surface if the gasket is leaking. You also may see signs of oil coming to the top aswell.

The other thing would be to change the oil and see if you have a mixture

As for the oil leaks around the bolt indents, I would make sure your valve cover vent is clear.