HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Sound when pressing brakes

Old 03-03-2014, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Elantra
Default Sound when pressing brakes

Hey guys just wanted to see if anyone can help point me in the right direction

Just recently within the past day or so I started to notice a sound or noise when I press my brakes for my 01 Elantra. Only thing I've changed recently was my tires around 2-3 weeks ago but didn't notice the sounds until today. When I press the brake to roll to a stop it occasionally has a clicking noise and can't help but feel maybe its my brakes? Not too sure what to think of it; has anyone have problems with this before? I'm a 3rd owner of the car and dont think the previous owner has changed the brakes in a while mileage is looking around 115k.

I was thinking of having brake changed soon but last time a mechanic who helped me changed my belts told me my brakes looked okay 6 months ago. Any idea or suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

6 months can be a long time in brake years. Is it a one-time click/clunk, or does it click-click-click-click-click-click during braking?

P.S. Brakes tend to be pretty simple for even a novice with basic hand tools, if you are inclined to give DIY a try.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Depending on the type of pads you have, when they are worn down so far they have indicator "feelers" that are suppose to make a sound so you check you brake pads and replace them before they are completely gone and you cause damage to more parts.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:00 AM

hey guys thanks for the quick tips and info! the click noise is gradually as I press the brakes to get the car to a stop. It doesn't always make the noise when i brake but occasionally when it does happens clicks clicks clicks until it stops (it happens usually at slower speeds going to a stop rather than a quick sudden brake if that makes sense?)

Sounds like i need my brake PADS? to be replaced? this is my first time owning a car but is there anything else people replace? Do they change rotors as well? am i missing anything?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

If brake rotors are warped, the pads can be knocked away at every wheel rotation with light application of the brakes, making a repetitive clicking noise. Heavier application of the brakes will hold the pads firmly against the rotors. Warped rotors make for longer stopping distances and are theoretically moderately dangerous. This is something a brake shop can check very easily, and total cost to repair may be under a couple hundred dollars (less than a hundred depending how well you shop around). If this is your problem, the rotors need to be "turned" which involves machining them to be flat again, or else replaced with new ones if the old ones are too thin from normal wear. See if you can get a brake shop to give you a free evaluation without having to agree to any service.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:29 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

1) put car on jack stands

2) remove wheels

3) put in drive

4) get assistant to press brake pedal until you find source of noise
Old 03-15-2014, 02:15 PM

hey guys so I got a friend who used to work with cars to help check out my rotors and brake pads; both rotor and brake pads look fine and good shape. Still not sure where the sound is coming from ): sound is clicking noise only when I brake gently to a stop and just occasionally.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:38 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Have you narrowed the noise down to the front brakes only? Rear brakes are ok?
Old 03-15-2014, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

My 03 did that. I think its coming from the back (if you have drums) and the reason I think that is how I stopped mine from doing it. Drive around backwards hitting the brakes (or don't be lazy and adjust them). Do that for a bit and see if it goes away. If so its the drums going out of alignment. Why the click... never figured that out. It seemed to do it after sometime since last adjustment and wet weather showed up
Old 03-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

A slightly warped rotor is not something you can just look at and see it's ok, is why I recommended a brake shop. Lots of them will give you free inspections.