HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Gasket Replacement

Old 12-25-2002, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasket Replacement

Hey, I have a 98 Accent, and I was just wondering how difficult it would be to replace my valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket. Both are leaking, and I figured that doing it myself would save me tons as opposed to taking it to the dealer or a shop. I know the valve cover gasket isn't that difficult, just take it off, replace the gasket, and torque the valve cover back down, but I was worried about the oil pan. I figured that I would do it now because it needs an oil chance anyway. Where exactly could I find these gaskets other than the dealership, and how much should I expect to pay? Any help, hints, or tips are welcome. Thanks and happy holidays!
Old 12-25-2002, 09:30 PM

DynastyAccent:
Hey, I have a 98 Accent, and I was just wondering how difficult it would be to replace my valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket. Both are leaking, and I figured that doing it myself would save me tons as opposed to taking it to the dealer or a shop. I know the valve cover gasket isn't that difficult, just take it off, replace the gasket, and torque the valve cover back down, but I was worried about the oil pan. I figured that I would do it now because it needs an oil chance anyway. Where exactly could I find these gaskets other than the dealership, and how much should I expect to pay? Any help, hints, or tips are welcome. Thanks and happy holidays!
Shouldn't you still be under warranty?
Old 12-26-2002, 02:25 AM

Nope, I bought it used and no warrantee came with it. It looks like I'm going to have to take care fo this thing all by myself, and that really sucks, too. I was looking at my engine the other day, and it looks like my head gasket is going, too. I have no idea what I'd be doing there, so I better start saving up money. Anyway, about what I can fix myself, any advice or answers?
Old 12-26-2002, 06:27 AM

Okay, I was just at NAPA and ordered the gasket for my valve cover. I asked about the oil pan, but they said that they had nothing listed and that it could possibly use a type of sealant unstead. For the 98, is there an oil pan gasket or do I have to use the sealant. If I dohave to use the sealant, how exactly does it work and what should I look out for? Thanks.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:43 AM

you have a '98 accent, dont lost your time wih sealent, go buy OEM gasket.
the price isnt really high, and its better than only gasketmaker or sealant
and before putting the new gasket, be sure the surface is cleaned!

thats my opinion.