HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Tib 2000 Dashboard

Old 11-25-2002, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tib 2000 Dashboard

Alright people need some help here!

I have a Tib 2000 auto with low mileage, my problem is when driving on the highway (55 mph) there is this rattling noise coming from the dashboard, specifically from the clear plastic covering the gauges. Now, when I push it or tap it, the noise stop for a while then comes back. Obviously there is something loose so I tried to tighten the screws around the gauge panel, but still the same.

Does anybody in here has the same problem?
How did you fix it?
Should I take the dashboard apart and look for the problem from the inside?

The noise get worse when going above 55 mph. It is really annoying.
Thanks for the help.

Anton
Old 11-25-2002, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

why not install rubber washers between the clear part and the gauge cluster. See if that helps.

heck while your at it, install rubber washers between all screws and the dash and the backing. That should quiet it all down.
Old 11-25-2002, 02:16 PM

or you can use some sealant. I got crazy with that stuff... seal everything!!! i used 4 cans of liquid nails on my latest sub box.... and the silicon stuff works good for sealing down the plasic pieces of a car... just make sure you dont mind if its permanent....
Old 11-25-2002, 09:03 PM

Hmmm I'd have to disagree about using any type of permanent sealant / adhesive, there's way too many reasons to remove your dash.

If you look at what Hyundai uses and probably many other auto manufacturers, look for some type of felt tape and place it where you think or better yet can see where rubbing is taking place.

My $2/100
Old 12-27-2002, 02:44 AM

I agree with the felt tape idea my elantra does the same thing but I cause it (when i installed my blue/silver guages I didnt have the right screw drivers got impatient and left out a couple screws now it rattles sad.gif )