HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Engine swap wiring troubleshoot

Old 06-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Cranks but no start sends me to the crank position sensor. Clean the hole and sensor and reseat it, then check power and ground, then check wiring.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Hyundai Lantra

Are you saying the fuel pump is only getting 6volts? If that is so then find the fuel pump relay remove it and check if the battery feed has 12v, if so then it would be a resistance problem in the wiring to the fuel pump.

Stupid question but is your battery fully charged 12volts? Also check engine earths and ecu earths.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:59 AM

Vehicle: 99 Hyundai Lantra

Try this site for wiring and locations http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/coupe/service/electrical.htm
Old 06-05-2013, 11:17 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

What you're going to have to do is crank out the big guns when it comes to troubleshooting. First of all, obtain an ECU pinout/wiring diagram for the relevant elantra and accent models.

Then you have to match up the pins on the elantra computer pinout, to the functions/locations on the accent harness. Every bit of supplied power, earth, sensor, and interior connector needs to be sussed.

Before you get started on that mammoth, but infallible task, start checking further up the line for the EC01 and EC02 power supplies. They really should be getting power.

If you follow my advice, you'll spend lots of time doing painstaking, one-by-one work, but it will thresh out any subtle faults that are lying in your harness. GLHF
Old 06-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

The problem is finding a wiring diagram for the accent. Last I checked, the accent stuff isn't on hyundaitechinfo.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:39 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Accent

I'm sorry for the late reply I've been finishing up school so I put the car on hold. Thanks for all your responses which led me to a solution that has made progress. Okay so good news is I went over the wiring diagrams and found out the wire that was supposed to feed voltage with key on to the ecu was dead unless switched on by the engine relay, so I added in a circuit to make up for it and now the fuel pump primes and I also get a CEL. So one step closer! I'm still at a no start though and it's because I'm not getting spark nor injector pulse. Including stockers post and e few others on google I started with the CPS and the cam position sensor. With a multi meter I checked some of the wires and I'm getting 12v power on both sensors, but I don't seem to be getting anything from the ground wires? Nor from the signal wires when cranking. If those are grounded to the ecu I don't know how to fix that But other than that everything seems to be fine so I'm almost there! Appreciate you taking the time to help out.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:48 PM

Ill double check the ecu earths as well
Old 06-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

ground to power should be 12V

ground to ground should be 0V

ground to signal should be 'something' every time the signal is triggered. They are reading the spinning parts, sending a timing signal to the ECM
Old 06-23-2013, 10:01 PM

Alright so im testing the sensor and weird thing is I test the wire on the crank sensor that is supposed to be the signal wire to a ground and i get a 5v feed from it with ignition on and not cranking. then i identified the 12v power wire and the ground. could this mean wrong pinning on the ecu or is the signal wire supposed to have steady power? :S I tested the cam sensor signal while cranking with a multi meter and it doesnt come up with any numbers but it does shows AC/DC blinking on and off. is that enough to say its sending a signal?
Old 06-24-2013, 01:00 PM

Aside from wiring, I'm going to go to the scrap yard tomorrow and pick up some extra sensors and try em out to see if that will help cause I took a second look at the cam sensor and its cracked on the part that fits in the engine. Ill get both make sure