HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

clutch wont engage

Old 08-26-2012, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Default clutch wont engage

I need some advice on this one guys.

Well a couple days ago I finished swaping my motor in my 98 j2 with another 1.8. The engine fired right up and is running pretty good but im having a problem with the trans.

Here is what is happening : the clutch pedal is soft. When the engine is off it will go it to gear and I can change to all gears. With the engine on it wont go in to gear. If I start the car in gear it will stall and wont come out of gear.

I got it out of gear and before that happened I tried bleeding the clutch. A little air came out still no clutch pressure. When bleeding it the slave rod did not move. I changed out the slave still nothing.

I'm thinking it is the master cylinder. But I don't see any fluids coming from it and fluid levels haven't changed. I'm hoping its a hydraulic pressure issue but could it be the shift fork or tob not engaging.

Any help would be greatly appreciate. Shoot any idea by me anything helps. Thanks!!!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

I think the clutch is engaged and not letting go. If it wasn't engaging you would easily move in and out of gear with it running. Also, it wouldn't stall when the car was cranked up in gear. Are you sure the clutch fork is behind the TOB? Did you snap the TOB to the PP before installing the trans? If you put it on the fork before the trans went on are you sure the TOB locked into the snapring?
Old 08-26-2012, 10:20 PM

I was confused if it wouldnt engaged or disengaged but I told my buddy that was helping me it wont disengage so guess I was right the 1st time.

But I put the tob on pp. I tried to set the tob with the hooks facing 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock so the fork will catch it right. No telling if it caught or not. When I pressed the clutch I didn't hear a click like it did when I replaced the trans not to long ago.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

If I was going to put money on it, the fork is not where it should be. Release the slave cyl and the arm that attaches to the fork and see how much movement you have maybe? I can't remember if that would work like I think it will... but I am pretty sure if it has a lot of movement that would mean the fork is on the wrong side of the TOB.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:11 AM

It does have some movement more then it ever has when the transfer has working. $h!+ ima have to take it off.

So if the fork isn't on the tob right then the slave wont move when pressing the clutch? My Haynes book says to place the tob on the pp can I go wrong putting it on the fork instead?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The fork moves the TOB yes?

If you haven't already,

Using Internet Explorer (only)

go to https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/

Navigate to:

SHOP > TIBURON(RC) >1998 > G 2.0 DOHC > Clutch System > Clutch Components >

specifically TIBURON(RC) >1998 > G 2.0 DOHC > Clutch System > Clutch Components > Clutch Cover And Disc > INSTALLATION
Old 08-28-2012, 05:16 PM

I can't get on that site my phone is all I got at the moment. Wish I could

I don't think it caught the tob

I am supposed to put it on the pp and I will catch it, right? Is there a way it is supposed to be wen the trans goes on? Or should I put it on the fork?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

I put it on the fork then snap it into the PP once the trans is mounted. You can do it with it on the PP, but Ive heard its a PITA to get the forks to go behind the TOB when you stab the trans :-/

The slave should move, but the fork wont be pulling on anything, just rotating around. That would explain why the pedal feels soft.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:03 PM

I got it worked out. pulled trans put the tob on the fork snapped in place and bled the slave working great now.

In a previous thread I had an issue with this same trans after I bought it and installed. It was grinding/whining high in the revs. Well that's gone now to.

I'm happy thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

NP glad it was something minor in terms of money. Sucks it took that much work to correct it.