HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Clutch problem?!

Old 10-18-2001, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem?!

Well, my brother too my tibby out to see if he could chirp second... he couldnt. It's a stock 97tibby fx, as you all pretty much know, but still, he said it should chirp easily. I took it out to try, and it doesnt catch the gears right away. I'll put it into second, and it still revs, then it catches... it does that to all my gears if I'm going a bit fast, but if I'm slow putting, the gears are alright... might I ask what that might be because of? Thanks.

~Drew
Old 10-18-2001, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Sounds like your clutch is slipping. If the RPMS rise, and the speed doesn't...it sounds like it's going south.

You can try to bleed out your clutch system (It's hydraulic, you bleed it just like brakes), and see if maybe you just have air in the system.

BTW...don't let your brother drive your car again! eek.gif wink.gif
Old 10-18-2001, 08:08 AM

if the bleeding doesnt work, does that mean I'll need a new clutch in the near future? and if so, how much does one run?
Old 10-18-2001, 08:24 AM

Oh, and Random, my brother knows a LOT more then I do in cars. He might rival you in the know-how department. smile.gif You two should talk. He owns a 2000 Camaro SS. I'd ask him these questions, but I'm never around him, and he makes fun of my tiburon. Plus, you know the world of hyundais.. so why not. smile.gif Welp... tell me bout my clutch.

~Drew
Old 10-18-2001, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

If bleeding the clutch does not fix it...then a couple of things might happen.

he might have bent the pressure plate trying to get the tires to chirp and shifting to fast, not allowing the clutch to slip grab...

Or he might have horked up the clutch itself.

If it starts to go bad fast...chances are it is the clutch. If it starts to go bad slowly...chances are it is the pressure plate.

A new aftermarket clutch is about $250-$300 for a KORE stage II (closes to stock you can get in the aftermarket).

I have no idea what the stock clutch runs...call www.stcharlesauto.com and see what they will charge you.

Either way...I would not worry about it until you know for sure something is damaged.

BTW...if you bro knows so much about cars....tan his ass for being a dope and frying your clutch out, and extract the $$$ outta his wallet for the clutch.
Old 10-19-2001, 02:11 AM

Haha, well, didn't even think chirping gears was bad though. A lot of people around here do it, and my friend do it too. They haven't told me about problems chirping gears. Everyone says my car as enough HP to do it, but it just won't. Alright, well thanks Random.
Old 10-19-2001, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Well, you have a 1997...do you have the 1.8 or the 2.0? What mods do you have?

If your clutch was "slushy" before...it would prevent the 'chirping' of gears...and the attempts could have made it worse...
Old 10-19-2001, 07:43 AM

hey random... where should i look for kore stuff? i can't seem to find a good (functioning) web site.
Old 10-19-2001, 04:29 PM

2.0 fx.... no mods yet.
Old 10-23-2001, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Majin Cthonian
Contact KORE via www.hyundaiperformance.com. Kore has their own forums there.

CamSS00-
If the clutch was slushy, why did you try to chirp the tires? What was the point in beating/stressing a clutch you felt was going bad? (Unless you were attempting to MAKE if fail) You then bled the system after the fact, but didn't take it for a test drive? I fail to see the logic in that.

KamikazeePilot and CamSS00
If the pressure plate was warped it would NOT cause chatter, it would cause a lack of engagement...ie...a slushly clutch. If the clutch disc itself was warped, that would cause the chatter. If the pressure plate is warped and preventing the clutch from completely engaging, that would explain why it is so easy to get in second yet still slusshy engagment. Or it could just simply be the friction material is self is warn/clapped out, or warn out from abuse, or just simply a bad clutch disc from the factory.

Since it is a 1997, and you have not complained yet about chatter, I'm more inclined to believe that it is the stock friction material is glazed over from over heating, or simply just plain worn out (it is 5 years old with ??? miles on it). I know the early 1997 "Revison-A" Tiburon clutches are fairly bulletproof, but the regular 1997's are just like the rest of our clutches, and only good for about 80-100K miles for the average driver.

I would look into a KORE Stage-2, since you have no mods. The Stage 3 would only be for Turbo/Supercharger/Serious Nitrous. When you have the clutch housing all apart, your local shop should be able to tell you what else/if anything is wrong in there while they are replacing the clutch disc and pressure plate (the KORE unit comes with both).