HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

CEL help

Old 07-20-2012, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon fx
Default CEL help

I'm new to these forums and was wondering if I could get some assistance with a CEL I have been getting. The code is P0446 EVAP emissions control vent circuit low. I was wondering if anyone knew of any possible solutions to this problem.

I replaced the Charcoal Canister, Fuel Cap, and Canister Close Valve about a year ago when I first got the light and I cleared them but the code seems to come back each time.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

Originally Posted by raikuro
I'm new to these forums and was wondering if I could get some assistance with a CEL I have been getting. The code is P0446 EVAP emissions control vent circuit low. I was wondering if anyone knew of any possible solutions to this problem.

I replaced the Charcoal Canister, Fuel Cap, and Canister Close Valve about a year ago when I first got the light and I cleared them but the code seems to come back each time.

Circuit low means the power wire or coil for the solenoid is grounded.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon fx

What should I do to fix the problem? I'm relatively new to working on cars, but I learn pretty fast.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

You need a volt ohm meter. Then find the solenoid. Then unplug it. Then setting the meter on ohms see what the reading is. Then apply the two leads to the two terminals on the solenoid. If it is shorter it will read very low, under 1 ohms. If it reads higher say 10 + ohm then it is probably good, probably is really higher but I don't know.. The Hyundai service site should have the good numbers.

If the solenoid is good then check the wires on the plug one at a time to a good ground on the car. Any clean metal point. If none of them shows a very low ohm number (ideally the reading should be open or infinity) check the two wires, one lead from the meter on each wire. Beware of holding the leads in both hands as it will get a reading through your body.

EDIT: When checking the wires one should be grounded as it is the ground. The other should not give a reading though.