HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

MY BRAKE LIGHTS WONT TURN OFF

Old 07-17-2012, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Tiburon
Default MY BRAKE LIGHTS WONT TURN OFF

Went to walmart and when i came out my brake lights were stuck on so i figured id look at it when i got home checked the flashers button its not stuck I have no clue why this is happening im not great at cars so any advice would help!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:37 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

well there are tons of reasons why it could be happening

first look under the brake pedal itself at the BOO switch (brake on/off) its just a normally open switch, see if thats stuck

have you done anything at all to the wiring lately?

for now, before you kill the battery id pop the hood and pull the fuse
Old 07-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Sounds like the brake switch. Not common for them to fault closed, they usually fault open, but anything is possible.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:49 AM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

had it happen on my lc and on my j2, its the small rubber bushing that's attached to the brake pedal linkage, it keeps the switch pressed when the brake is unpressed..but the top of the bushing dry-rots and falls off and the switch has a gap between itself and the pedal..i just took the bushing that came off and super-glued it back on.

no problems since.

ain't worth trying to find a new bushing and certainly ain't worth plucking a whole brake pedal assembly from the junkyard..
Old 07-18-2012, 04:42 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

^ seen this happen so many times-... it's a beige or tan plastic piece sitting in multiple pieces on your floor-mat.

i found a small nut and bolt setup and slipped it in it's place. it's a simple solution but the process took awhile. be sure to check that there is not too much or to little play on the brake light button.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:01 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

I would check the brake light switch its cheap. I had two go out on me the first one stayed open with brake lights on so I replaced it.

Then a little while later my brake wouldn't turn on so I was in advanced auto parking lot trying to figure it out. I doubted the brake light switch cuz it wasn't even a year old. The Guy working there seen me and tried to help. Well I was checking the bulbs and he pulled the fuse and said it was good so were the bulbs. He suggested a bad ground and I should take it somebody. I wasn't going to do that so I got another brake light switch.

Change the switch still didn't work, checked the fuse it was blown guess the Guy couldn't tell the difference what a help he was. I'm guessing the bad switch blew the fuse. Even checked the old switch with new fuse it was bad. So I replaced the switch and fuse all was well.

Had a bushing problem to super glued a piece of cardboard to the pedal

I would start there Then the switch.