HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Car won't Idle!

Old 02-24-2003, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't Idle!

This just happened about 2 days ago, and I cant explain what is wrong. I was driving on I-95 and I was exiting a ramp and my car just shut off. I was able to pull into a nearby parking lot to try and start it again. The weird part is that you can start the car, but it wont keep running on its own. You have to mash the pedal, get off it, and mash it again keeping the revs up real high or it just drops and cuts off again. I took off the intake because it was making weird sounds like it had a vacuum problem(It would suck normaly when you push the pedal, but once you let off it it sounds like it is blowing the opposite). My best guess was a fuel flow or pressure prob. Sorta like the car got enough gas to start, but not enough to keep at a constant flow. Any ideas as to what it might possibly be?
Old 02-24-2003, 05:04 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

The big question: when the car is running, is the Check Engine Light on?
Old 02-24-2003, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Is the throttle body cracked open with your foot off the pedal?

Is the Idle Air bypass hose connected to the intake system and the Intake manifold? Check connections/hoses for cracks/loose connections.

Is the Idle air bypass electrical connection still there/connected? With the key in the "on" position, but the engine off, does the IAB "hum" or "vibrate" slightly? If not, that's your problem.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:01 AM

Thanks, it doesnt hum or at least I didnt hear it. And my throttle body isnt cracked open with my foot on the gas.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:10 AM

check the nuts that hold the throttle cable to the intake manifold (they secure it to a "U" slot).

I had a really bad idle once and it turned out that the throttle cable had come loose! Fixed it down, adjusted the throttle and everything was fine again.

good luck,
ac
Old 02-24-2003, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

The IAB should "hum" and/or "vibrate" when the key is in the "on" position but the engine is off. If your's doesn't...that explains why it won't idle. With the TB Butterfly sealed, and the IAB dead/bad wiring, you've got no air going to your motor to allow it to idle.

Adjust the TB screw to open the TB Butterfly about .25" (not .25" GAP, but just move it .25" from vertical). Then try to start the car and see if it will idle. If it does, now you need to take it to your dealer for them to figure out why your IAB died. It's either wiring or it just died on its own. Either way, it should be covered under warranty.

[ February 24, 2003, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 03-03-2003, 02:39 AM

Thanks guys, it turned out that the MAS was dead.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

Type-H:
Thanks guys, it turned out that the MAS was dead.
Did you mean MAF? (Mass Air Flow Sensor)???