HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

brake pedal to floor!!!

Old 03-01-2003, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pedal to floor!!!

after swapping out the rear pads and readjusting the calipers....my brake pedal goes to the floor....i added brake fluid and it still goes to floor!!! what the hell did i do?? i pump on the pedal i feel pressure and then 2 secs lateri have no more pressure!! help!!
Old 03-01-2003, 05:25 AM

You, my friend, have to bleed your brakes. You have air in them. I'm guessing, by you not having much knowledge of brake systems, should have your brakes bled by a professional. i'm not being mean, it's just that, yeah, it's not a good idea to be playing with brakes when you don't know what you're doing.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:26 AM

Sounds like ya broke something.

mmmm, dont know to much about how diagnose braking problems.

But is it spongy when ya press down on it?
Hyundais dont need to be rebled after new brake pads. But... Maybe yours is funky?
Old 03-01-2003, 06:17 AM

what could i of possibly have broken??? i dont know....changing the pads is a simple deal....but i obviously missed something....
Old 03-03-2003, 01:46 AM

from hma...

it looks like you should try bleeding them first.

hmm, didn't work... here's the link
http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/iindex.a...id=12426#_12426

[ March 03, 2003, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: turbulence ]
Old 03-03-2003, 01:56 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Hang on here... changing brake pads usually doesn't require you to open up the hydraulic system, so unless you DID disconnect a brake line or something, the system shouldn't need bleeding.
Maybe you misadjusted the calipers? That's just a guess, assuming you didn't disconnect any brake lines.
Are you losing brake fluid? Check for leaks, perhaps.
Or could a caliper be sticking?

Tough call without knowing all the details of the work you did or without being able to look at the car too...

Keep up posted.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

It sounds like you got air into the system somehow. Normally, this does not happen if you are just replacing pads.

The other option would be a leak/hole in the brake line, but I think you would notice the puddle of brake fluid under the car if that was the case.

Just wondering, when you compressed the rear brake caliper pistions to fit the new pads on, did you take the cap off the brake fluid resivior? If not, you may have blown the master Cylinder.

Bleed out your brake system starting at the passenger rear, then drivers rear, then passenger front, then drivers front. Make sure you keep adding new fluid to the resivoir...never allow it to run below the "minimum" mark.

If that doesn't solve it, you've got a blown master cylinder.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:19 AM

yeah, that's what i meant. i realize that you don't open the brake lines when you change the pads, but it really sounds like there is air in there. there's a possibility the calipers aren't adjusted correctly. i would get a buddy and bleed the system.