HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

blowing fuses

Old 09-28-2001, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blowing fuses

i just got some new hyper white foglights on my car and i am blowing my fuse that control my lights on the side of my car.. so i took out the number 10 and put a blue one it think it is 12 or 15 in the fuse box under the hood and it works.. i was wondering is this ok if i put a higher one in there..I just want to make sure in wont wont case any problems in my car...
Old 09-28-2001, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

In general...No, replacing fuses with a higher amperage is never safe.

I would keep a close eye on the headlight wiring and make sure it does not start to overheat and melt with the higher amp fuse in there.
Old 10-01-2001, 06:20 AM

well im not the most experienced at fuses and wiring things but, everyttime my fuse has blown i have always replaced it will the same amount tha blown, i heard that u could overheat your wire
but dont qote me
Old 10-01-2001, 08:48 AM

I take it that the fog lights are aftermarket? You need to see how much of a demand those new lights require. Sounds like you just put your jumper wire on a fuse that is just a little to small to hold the new lights! Are your new lights on a toggle switch or wire straight in! I would recomend that you run your new lights from a toggle with it's own power source from the battery with it's own recommended fuse!
Running a slightly larger fuse will not really hurt you I.E 10amp to 15amp Just don't go crazy and jump to a 30amp or something like that you will be asking for some major problems if you do!!
Just make sure that you check your wire for overheating! If it gets to hot then run a new wire setup or try some smaller watt lights!! Later accent1 smile.gif
Old 10-03-2001, 10:51 PM

Putting in a higher fuse is bad. Reason being the conversion has been done for that gauge of wire and for that power draw if you put in a higher fuse it allows more power to run threw the wire anmd after time the wire overloads and could melt and catch on fire and this is a fact but it doesn't always happen but it's not worth taking a chance. Are they aftermarket? If so run a seprate power supply to them with their own switch as per manufatures suggestions and put inline the fuse they suggest.