HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Ack! Cracked Header!!!

Old 01-22-2003, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ack! Cracked Header!!!

Hey guys, i noticed that there are very fine cracks on the welds of each runner where the primary runners meet the flange on the head. These tiny little hairline gaps are about 2mm in length and are only on the bottom portion of the weld (towards the runner edge of the weld i mean) on the topside of the runner (i'd probably be impossible to see underneath the runner with the header installed). I suppose i could describe it as this...it seems that the whole header may be 'hinging' of the bottom welds of the flange and 'separating' from the top as if the welds cannot support the weight of the header... something like that. The little tiny black carbon deposits give it away or else i wouldn't have noticed. I don't hear any leaks while i drive but i fear this condition will worsen as time progresses. The head is a Shark Racing 4-2-1 unit and i've had it installed for almost a year. The exhaust is supported at the muffler and at the center of the exhaust by the cat, and it has a flexpipe so whats the deal? Can this be fixed???? If it breaks, i'm gonna feel like i've been ripped off $400.

I regarded this header of high quality material/craftsmanship and did not expect this to happen and i doubt Sharkracing is going to help me.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:18 AM

AH Man! I was getting ready to say it is covered under warranty until I got the part were it says SR Headers
Old 01-22-2003, 09:19 AM

i have no clue what the warranty is on sr headers, but i'd inquire about that. if there is no warranty because it's been a year or whatever, you could always take it to a machine shop and have them weld the flange back on.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Email SR. See what they say. Worse case senario, you have to pay for your own repairs, but at least you tried.

You are the first person I've heard of with cracked aftermarket headers.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:34 AM

Well, let me ask you guys this. I think these SR 421's are TIG welded on stainless steel. All of the welds at every exhaust shop i've been too have ended up rusting over time. So how will my header get welded back up without rusting?
Old 01-23-2003, 07:39 AM

find a reputable machine shop, and tell them that you want tig welds or ask what they can do to help you out with rusting.