Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

No strong proof that flossing your teeth has medical benefit

Old 08-04-2016, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Sonata Turbo
Default No strong proof that flossing your teeth has medical benefit

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/dental-floss-1.3703798

Flossing might not actually do anything.

Yeah. Let that sink in. Think back over all the years you lied guiltily to your dentist about how you definitely wiggle thin little strands of thread between your teeth every night in the name of preventing cavities and gum disease. And let the sweet, sweet vindication flow in. (Alternatively, if you are a professed flosser, despair).

Apparently the federal government has recommended Americans floss their teeth since 1979, but when recently asked by The Associated Press to provide the scientific evidence of flossing's benefits, the government quietly slipped the recommendation out of its latest dietary guidelines. When AP followed up, the government confessed that the effectiveness of flossing hasn't actually been researched to the extent that is required.

The AP looked at the most rigorous research conducted over the past decade, focusing on 25 studies that generally compared the use of a toothbrush with the combination of toothbrushes and floss.

The findings? The evidence for flossing is "weak, very unreliable," of "very low" quality, and carries "a moderate to large potential for bias."

"The majority of available studies fail to demonstrate that flossing is generally effective in plaque removal," said one review conducted last year. Another 2015 review cites "inconsistent/weak evidence" for flossing and a "lack of

Imma still do it though. Just makes me feel better about my teeth
Old 08-04-2016, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I floss when something is stuck between my teeth. It for sure does "something" but that something is not "magically make your gums healthy just by doing it". Don't hurt yourself, but flossing is at the very least a good habit for keeping your teeth clean in between!
Old 08-07-2016, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

flossing is like a dark alley..you cant really see whats going on at night.."rolls eyes"
Old 08-11-2016, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Waterpik FTW.