Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

Need to lose 18lbs in 20 days!

Old 03-15-2011, 06:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring
Default Need to lose 18lbs in 20 days!

I'm in a weight loss competition with $800 at stake. If I lose about 18 more pounds by April 4th weigh-in, then I'll take it all home. I lost 23lbs the first month with diet and bike-riding almost every day. I really didn't try that hard for that. Now, I'm ready to hit it hard with so much money riding on it. Any suggestions for losing weight fast, even if it came down to the last 3-4 days and needing another 5lbs to win? Deprive myself of water, fasting, supplements, dieuretic? I'm not in it for the long haul. Once the diet's over, I'll go back to eating normally. Right now I weigh 224lbs. I'm 6'1", and could stand to lose another 30lbs off my gut, but only need/want about 18.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:14 AM

My daily exercise routine:

30-40 minutes of mountain biking on the street at 13mph average.

Jog up 7 flights of stairs 1-2 times a day to get up to my office.

I'm gonna try doing the 7 flights of stairs 3-4 times a day spread out over my 8hr of work.

I'll also increase my biking to 1 hour.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

1. If you're doing your biking at night, add in some cardio in the morning, before anything. It's the most effective time to workout for losing weight (from what I'm told).

2. Get OxyElite from GNC or other supplement store.

3. Get a water pill from the same place for the last 7 days.

I starved myself for the first month, eating 1100-1200 calories/day, and I lost ~25 lbs. before I hit a long plateau. If you haven't starved yourself yet, maybe that'll get a few more pounds dropped, but not likely 18.

For the last week I ate nothing but chicken and white rice for every meal, with egg beaters and oatmeal for breakfast. I didn't lose any weight, but my metabolism has really amped up! I dropped 4 lbs. after day 7, changing up my carbs every day. Now, I get hungry all the time, and I'm still eating nothing but carbs and protein (NO fat, NO sugar). I'm cutting out even more carbs after this week.

Since you only have 20 days, I don't know if you have enough time to eat more to ramp up your metabolism, and then cut it down to lose 18 pounds. It might be good just to start cutting out all sugars and most carbs, and your fat of course.

I wouldn't lift any weights in the next 3 weeks, just do cardio. Double your cardio - from your 30 minutes of biking to 45, and add another set of cardio in the morning or night (opposite of whenever you do it now) for another 45 minutes.

I'm not an expert, just giving my ideas. That's a lot of money - doing only 30-45 minutes of cardio doesn't seem like you'll drop 18lbs in 20 days. I'd double it at least
Old 03-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

First off, this is not a healthy suggestion, just a means to a specific short term goal.

No weight lifting. As much cardio/walking/jogging/bike riding as you can manage without making your body sore for more than a day and no exercise for a couple days before weigh in.

Eat as little as you can manage. Food traveling through your gut weighs quite a bit and takes several days to fully clear out. For the last 2 days before weigh in I would personally fast. Limit sodium intake.

Drink as much water as you want until the last week. Then go easy on the water. Sure you'll be dehydrated, but you can lose a lot of water weight to make a weigh in.

If you're not going to make weight as a desperate measure you could resort to a laxative. I wouldn't do that until the night before, and only to make an extra pound or two.

Supplements might be good, but I don't know much about them personally.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 AM

Right now for breakfast I'm eating instant oatmeal packets at 160 calories.

Lunch, Campbells soup bowls with 260 calories.

Dinner, just different meats. Basically whatever I want because I've had so little calories earlier.

So, I've been keeping right at 1000 calories per day, then exercising to drop about 400 of those calories. I know I should be taking in a lot more calories on a normal diet, but I've been "full". Personally, I don't know how I'm still awake. lol

Thanks for the advice. Keep em coming.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:47 AM

Vehicle: 99 accent

I remember losing like 5lbs in a week or two just by eating 3-400 calorie meals every 2-3 hours (about the same total calories as before), totally starving yourself isn't the way to go (you'll feel like sh*t btw) you gota speed up your metabolism it doesn't take long.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Stop the soup the last 7-10 days. All that sodium will retain water in your system. You can probably drop a few pounds of water the last 3 days.

Like Floyd said, No weight lifting; you don't want your muscles tight and tense at weigh in so limit your activity as it approaches; Fast for the last two days and limit water intake to only when you need it; A laxative 24 hours prior to weigh in, and if it doesn't do the job, try it again 6-12 hours prior. Maybe find a local gym, ask for a 1-day pass to try it out, and use their Sauna 1 or 2 days before weigh in

I would also research MMA/Wrestling cutting techniques for losing water weight before weigh in. Get on a stationary bike a day or two prior, load up with a sauna suit, heavy layers, or whatever needed to make you sweat to your maximum as long as you can stand it.

and I agree with coffin. Eat more frequently so your body keeps burning calories on its own. Even if it's just a rice cake. Train your body over the next week to be surprised by the food frequency and to keep burning calories. Cut the carbs out almost completely in the few days up to the weigh in
Old 03-16-2011, 06:30 AM

Last night I started P90X, but the cardio ones only. I also bought a bunch of chicken breasts and tilapia fillets to eat with rice, basically cutting out all fat and adding a lot more protein.

I'm pretty sore after the first workout (plyometrics?), but I can definately keep going. I'm used to the exercise now, so I don't need days of recovery like when I first started.

Somehow I lost 4lbs after all of yesterdays exercise. I'm gonna asume that it's water weight from all the sweating. lol
Old 03-16-2011, 06:54 AM
Administrator

I did the Kenpo X last night, it was a great workout. Kinda like cardio kickboxing.

The chest and back kicked my ass. I did that one first - tons of push ups and pull ups, then more push ups.

Do the Ab Ripper X... it's only 17 minutes
Old 03-16-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by majik
I did the Kenpo X last night, it was a great workout. Kinda like cardio kickboxing.

The chest and back kicked my ass. I did that one first - tons of push ups and pull ups, then more push ups.

Do the Ab Ripper X... it's only 17 minutes
I'm "borrowing" it, so I have 4 workouts right now. I believe I have the ab ripper, but the Kenpo is being used by my friend right now. I'll get it on sunday.