General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

What is the first Mod that you did your tibby??

Old 01-10-2002, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

If you just remove the resonator, the intake system (airbox) can suck in rather hot air (the hot air coming off the radiator). This can trigger a CEL as the air can actually be TOO HOT for the Temp sensor and MAF sensor to accurately measure the air volume. This triggers the CEL.

The snorkle makes sure that the airbox is sucking in cold air, or at least colder than engine compartment air.

The function of the stock resonator is two fold. #1. To dampen out intake engine noise. It "quiets" down the sound of the engine sucking in air.

#2. In provides a volume of stored air for the intake system, theoretically improving throttle response vs a system with less volume.

The problem with #2, is that that "volume of stored air" heats up as your engine compartmet heats up. Also, even though the stock resonator has that "stored" volume of air, the engne still has to work rather hard to suck the air through the complicated resonator system. A smoother, more direct path does increase the noise level, but it also allows the engine to suck or draw air in easier.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may of did something wrong taking your res off because when mine was off I live in 29 palms calif. Where during the summer its an average of 115f. you can imagine engine bay temp. I never had a prob.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:36 AM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

lol...placebo effect...like when you put the Team SR stickers on. I put mine on and went driving hoping to find some silly Civic. never did though... rolleyes.gif
Old 01-11-2002, 09:58 AM

Ok so if i remove the snorkel and resonator and place the dryer hose (until i get a CAI) with it's opening facing an opening in the front of the car (sort of like a ram air i guess) then the CEL shouldn't come on and my throttle responce will increase? (i didn't make any mods to make it come on before, it just worked itself lose)Now is this setup ok for rain since i would in a sence be drawing in more air? (what i'm getting at is this is perfectly safe for the car?)
Old 01-14-2002, 06:06 AM

What do you guys think about this? I bought a K&N airfilter and took off the resonator. In addition to that, I added 13inches(more or less) of PVC pipe(2 sinches in diameter) to the opening in the stock air box using a 90 degree elbow. On the other end, I used another 90 degree elbow and used welding tape to screw it into the plastic flap on the bottom so it can get air directly outside of the motor compartment. I know it is bad to use 90 degree bends and the diameter is only two inches to the airbox BUT it is getting colder air and is not touching anything hot and it cost almost nothing. Please let me know what you think..
Old 01-14-2002, 06:08 AM

By the way, this was my first mod.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:40 AM

Well, congrats on your first mod.. It is Better than stock yes, but having too many sharp bends will rob you from HP.. the less your pipe bends, the better off you will be.. I guess it is the whole "Quickest way to point A and point B is a straight line.." wink.gif Good job.. smile.gif smile.gif
Old 01-14-2002, 07:06 AM

Thanx Choopi, that was my first mod, but that was done a couple of months ago smile.gif I have since added a dump load of mods including the new elantra GT intake cam and exhaust!
Old 01-14-2002, 07:08 AM

Ooops, I meant custom exhaust with some ebay muffler from Korea!
Old 01-14-2002, 07:27 AM

Did you feel much of a difference between the stock cam and the GT cam? I can get a good deal on it, and I figure it will be worth the time and money.. smile.gif Have fun!