General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

What do guys think costs more to do? Show or Go?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon
Default What do guys think costs more to do? Show or Go?

I was thinking about this yesterday. In your opinions do you think it costs more to build a car for show or for go? If you think it over its really almost split down the middle in terms of pricing

Show

- Costs for custom paint, body mods, interior, rims, stereo, suspension, and body mods

- If you drive it every day then you have to watch out for or repair rock chips and scratches to keep it in show quality

- May not be very fast but looks great on a show field

Go

- Costs for a built engine, turbo or supercharger kit, tranny, suspension, rims

- More power means more chances for stuff to break

- May not look too great or stock-ish but can kick ass on the drag strip or auto-x course

I envy people who are able to do both and have a car that not only wins trophy's on a show field but can also back it all up with quick time & dyno slip. Those people either put down an incredible amount of money, or have sponsors, or were able to do every bit of work themselves.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

You could argue either point, but I would say "Show" costs more. If you consider wheels "show" a good set could easily cost $2,000 with tires, paint could be just as much, air suspension or an attractive fiberglassed trunk setup could each match that.

If you spend $8,000 building your motor, it should be pretty effin' bad ass
Old 04-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It depends on what you want to do. It wouldn't take too much imagination to get up to "new house" cost on custom work and custom parts for performance or aesthetics
Old 04-15-2011, 02:59 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Function never goes out of style. Why not race a showable car?

There are definetly examples of cars on here that can win either.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

This is like comparing apples and organs. Both can be cheap or expensive depending on how far in you go.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:14 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ Wow, comparing apples and organs is much different then comparing apples to oranges! Way to word that.

I'd say Go is more expensive. You can nickel and dime some show parts. It takes a large purchase to get some real go.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:32 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

My Go definately cost me more than my show.....Go takes more money and upkeep than show in my case...but, if your thing is show,even a 5 grand sound system,bodykit,paint,rims,etc can cost more than some go cars!..But it is cool to have a ricy looking ride that can outperform most others IMO
Old 04-16-2011, 09:09 PM

Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs, 2001 hyundai tiburon

I' have to agree with Regit.

At the moment, I'm keeping track of costs to do both show and go. Not being extravagant, but getting a lot of reliable, known parts (and a few used items too) for the go.

Not sure on the show part yet, still gotta see how the kit I got will fit, as well as getting the other items. THEN pricing the paint and bodywork.

Next year's project is interior, so, it's gonna be a while in the making, but the cost comparison will be done.

Keep in mind, most of the labor will be done by me, so the costs will be mostly parts.