General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

TOP SPEED!!!

Old 05-20-2001, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Tiburon

Well just for arguements sake, I have the Turbulence ECU Remapping done to my Tibby and I have hit 150MPH and it still keeps on going. But this is not good for my car to be driving at that speed for too long.

[ May 20, 2001: Message edited by: KillerShark68 ]
Old 05-20-2001, 04:38 PM

You have a US-spec Tib ECU remapped???
Where'd you get it done? Does this place offer aftermarket ECUs for Tibs now?
Old 05-20-2001, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally posted by KillerShark68:
Well just for arguements sake, I have the Turbulence ECU Remapping done to my Tibby and I have hit 150MPH and it still keeps on going. But this is not good for my car to be driving at that speed for too long.

[ May 20, 2001: Message edited by: KillerShark68 ]

The gearing in a tiburon will not allow 150 MPH.

There is no "turbulence" ECU. "Turbulence" is the name given to the Second gen bodystyle Tiburons in Korea. "Just for aruguments sake"...I'll Play along...

It would take more than 140 HP to hit 150 MPH...even if this mythical ECU upgrade gave you 14 HP (154 is the highest rated tiburon), you would still not have the HP or gearing to hit 150 MPH.

IF someone did somehow get their hands on an ECU from Korea, it wouldn't work in a North American ECU or engine. MAP vs MAF and all the other stuff we've already covered before...

I'm thinking he installed the "Turbulence" badges on his car from Shark Racing, then hit the crack pipe and was reading the KPH ring on his speedometer.
Old 05-20-2001, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally posted by ::[aeliux]:::
....All semis are governed at around 85mph...

This may be true, but I'm sure Semi guys modify their trucks the same way we modify our cars. I've been passed by semis while I was doing 90...so they are certianly capable of doing over 85....doing 132??? I wouldn't wanna bet on that one. Also...the tiburon is speed governed at 125 due to the speed rating of the tiburon's stock tires.
Old 05-20-2001, 11:27 PM

Yeah...that was bs on my part. I should have left the "All" out of it. My uncle owns a trucking company and it was probably the tail end some chatting that stuck in my head.

Wouldn't you hit redline in 5th before it got up to 150mph anyway? I'd think that the fuel cutoff would kick in..
Old 05-21-2001, 01:34 AM

Vehicle: 1995 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6 PI

The semi wasn't going 132 but I would say he was going over 100...I only hit 132 for a few moments but that was my top speed. I would love to see a semi going 132 though smile.gif
Old 05-21-2001, 01:37 AM

What's the top speed you guys got with you tiburons.. I got my Accent up to 180 (km/h) and slowed down cause the damn thing was following all the cracks on the road. And I still have my winter tires on. So the handling wasn't too good. sad.gif

BTW I beat a new beetle !! Not a TDI... a normal standard bettle !!

[ May 21, 2001: Message edited by: Accent GSi ]

[ May 21, 2001: Message edited by: Accent GSi ]
Old 05-21-2001, 01:43 AM

Vehicle: 1995 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6 PI

Originally posted by ::[aeliux]:::
You left Chicago at 11:00 at night and did'nt get to KC until 4pm the next day because of lunch?? Was it a buffet? and was it good?

Was the semi made by Lingenfelter? All semis are governed at around 85mph...even if it wasn't, it's impossible due to drag. Nice try though.

I'm guessing that he didn't have a load on the trailer and I stopped at one of those roadside restaurants (Dennys, Perkins, IHOP, etc...)

I wasn't necessarily in a hurry to get there but I did want to "open up" the car a bit to see what it would do.
Old 05-21-2001, 05:35 AM
Red

Well, I did a whole lot of math, and I have a whole lot of BS to claim...

First off, no matter what mods you've slapped onto the car... Unless you've changed the gears in the transmission or you've upped the rev limiter, a Tiburon will not do any faster than 147mph. Period. You can jack the front of the car up and just spin the tires, but they will go no faster than 147mph.

Secondly, while driving, there's going to be a considerable amount of horsepower to pull a car to 150mph.

The top speed you can achieve is geometrically dependant on horsepower as well as gearing, weight, frontal area and coefficient of drag.

Given that gearing, weight, frontal area and coefficient of drag are static variables then you have only speed as a function of horsepower. It takes almost double horsepower to achieve a 35% increase in speed... Dumbing it down a little, you would need something like a 200HP motor to sustain 150mph in a Tiburon in it's current configuration.

Everyone must also remember that "indicated" speeds are not accurate, as Hyundai allows a full 10% margin of error in the speedometer, and that percentage gets bigger the faster you are going. (ie it may only be 2% off at 20mph, but it could be 9.5% off at 120mph) These figures are completely within factory "tolerance" of a good part, so don't act suprised. Civic speedometers are just as bad...

So if you figure 10% of 130, that's 13 miles per hour that you're actually not attaining -- 117mph is far less glamorous.

The best high-speed run I've accomplished is approximately 131mph, and this was NOT what my speedometer said. The speed was derived from a static digital RPM readout on my S-AFC, then calculated by transmission gearing and tire size. The car was still accelerating at this point, but I didn't want to find out the hard way if a New Mexico state trooper was sitting just over the next hill.

-Red-
Old 05-21-2001, 04:21 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Tiburon

Well here for all yall haters out there. My car goes 150MHP and maybe 155 tops. I got hooked up at the dealership at they did some bad ass **** to my car. I pull 150MHP and i know cause my eyes could see the damm speedometer. Sorry yall cant believe me but thats not my prob. Anyways lets get it on and Ill take any of yall to the track.(Except if yall are spraying)

[ May 21, 2001: Message edited by: KillerShark68 ]