General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Are these jumper cables any good?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Tiburon
Default Are these jumper cables any good?

Todays deal on Woot: http://www.woot.com/

Michelin Smart Jumper Cables with Automatic Polarity Adjustment - $12.99

Warranty: 1 Year Michelin

Features:

No guesswork, green indicator lights confirm correct connection
No sparking or shorting, When clamps are attached the polarity is adjusted automatically
Built-in surge protector prevents damage to the vehicle computer and electronics
Textured grips and flexible cables are easy to handle, even in cold weather
12 Foot cables are constructed using heavy 8-gauge copper clad aluminum
Four Step Process:

1.) With the ignition of both vehicles in the off position, connect one set of clamps to the assisting vehicle battery, one clamp to each battery terminal – polarity does not matter
2.) Connect the other set of clamps to the disabled vehicle battery – first clamp to the positive battery terminal and the second clamp to metal on the vehicle engine block/frame
3.) Both green indicator lights should illuminate on the center module – if not adjust the clamps until they do
4.) Start the assisting vehicle and allow to idle for about 30 seconds. Start the disabled vehicle. When it’s running, disconnect the clamp from the engine block/frame then disconnect the remaining clamps in any order
Old 07-22-2010, 08:20 AM

Vehicle: 06 Tiburon

Ill be honest those jumper leads dont look very "Heavy duty" and the clamps also look very small.

I like the idea of the automatic polarity adjustment especially for those people who have no clue as to how to jump a car.

But just looking at the picture id definately look for something with thicker wires, bigger amp rating and full copper wire.

You wont like these jumpers when they overheat and the plastic melts and causes a dead short, especially your car smile.gif
Old 07-22-2010, 08:25 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Tiburon

I was looking to get these for my mom. Shes a bit clueless (about cars in general) and leaves her lights on sometimes. Something like this would be great for her to just keep in her trunk in case her battery dies. But if they're garbage I dont want to take a chance of her hurting herself or causing more damange to her car.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:32 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

These seem like idiot-proof jumper cables. Which is nice for the mom, girlfriend, etc. But I like my jumper cables simple.

Huge wires, big clamps, and long.

Reminds me of this:
http://www.duracellpower.com/battery-charg...flashlight.aspx
Old 07-22-2010, 08:47 AM

Vehicle: 06 Tiburon

I was looking to get these for my mom. Shes a bit clueless (about cars in general) and leaves her lights on sometimes. Something like this would be great for her to just keep in her trunk in case her battery dies. But if they're garbage I dont want to take a chance of her hurting herself or causing more damange to her car.

I might change my mind, for lady with a "smallish" car this might be damn good idea, but definitly not for someone with a bigger vehicle like a Santa Fe
Old 07-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you can't figure out jumper cables which are fitted with a big tag in large print with pictures telling you how to hook everything up, you don't need to be doing jump starts.

These still require at least half a brain to hook up properly. If you can't figure out regular cables, are you really going to understand what to do when only one light comes on your idiot-proof ones?

This is a sign of the decay of our culture. If you have someone in your life who you think would benefit from an idiot-proof cable, get them these if it makes you feel better about yourself. Even better still would be to show them how the red and black relate to plus and minus, and 5 minutes later you have another person on the planet who can do a proper jump-start with standard cables.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

what is so hard about..."red on red, black on black"?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:56 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

both cables on my elantra are red now....

whats wrong with positive to positive and negitive to negitive
Old 07-28-2010, 06:40 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

I had some cheapo (thin) cables and they were useless. I couldn't believe it, but it would barely turn over, nowhere near enough to start... I would just spend my money on getting bigger cables.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

You don't put black on black.

Red to Power terminal, Black/Negative to Chassis. Putting the black cable on the negative terminal can cause a surge and blow electrical.

These cables might be good for a Geo Metro, but I'd get something thicker. For someone who doesn't "know" about cars, it wouldn't surprise me to see them jump starting it with the A/C on full blast, radio turned up, car doors open, and headlights on while trying to crank the engine. Get some heavy duty 25ft. jumper cables to keep in the trunk.

It seems to me like cables that small would take forever to transfer a charge from one vehicle to the next.