General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Snap-On Toolboxes?

Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Tiburon
Default Snap-On Toolboxes?

What's the obsession with toolboxes like Snap-On and other high end brands? I mean, I've got a nice Kobalt box, but I've got less than $100 tied up in it. I see boxes not much bigger than mine that go for thousands and thousands.

Can someone explain the difference? I sincerely want to know.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:54 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Well for 1 the support. With a snapon box if a rail even wiggles you call up old boy who shows up in truck with the parts brand spanking new and in many cases the same day regardless of age of the box. Secretly they do this to try to sell more tools at the same time but its still a great service. I have Craftsman box and this weekend I'm picking up a few Kobalt cabinets for the garage/workshop. The main issue here is (in the case of the craftman) if there is an issue no one has the parts in stock so you have to call and request the parts and pay shipping sometimes. This takes days or even weeks based on age. I suspect Kobalt is just a case of toss it once its broke, but I have never toyed with their warranty

I have also found that Snapon has much superior build quality and function. Still, I buy the tools and just use another box. I can't and won't justify the cost difference. I can outfit my entire workshop with kobalt for the price of one snapon rolling cart.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:18 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

As a technician by profession, the drawers on my tool box get opened And closed 100+ times day and holds 10k+++ worth of tools which equals a lot of weight. We need something that holds up to the abuse. And snapon/Mac make a rigid quality tool box that will. I literally pull a drawer out and sit on it when I'm waiting on jobs sometimes. Full weight and I'm about 200lbs and it holds me no problem. Try doing that with your craftsman/kobalt box.

My Mac box cost 7k when I bought it and I'm about to drop another 5k on a top box for it cause I'm out of room again and that's not even the biggest box they make. But as stated above, there is a life time warranty on them and they will last forever. It's a necessary investment in this line of work.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:23 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Nobody NEEDS Snap-on tools or boxes. Just like nobody NEEDS a 200K+ car, but they are freakin nice!

If you are a mechanic by trade I fully understand wanting the best you can buy, it's the same with tools in my trade (HVAC). If you use your tools everyday it's nice to have/use the best.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Mine box and cart:

Why? Because I use it to make money. Not only do I need it to NEVER fail. It's also at least partially to establish my position in the shop. The only two guys here (over 30 techs) with boxes the same size as mine are the two Nissan Master Techs. My box gets me a certain amount of respect because people know I know my sh*t. I wouldn't be able to afford it if I didn't.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:01 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Thinking about picking this up for home. Nothing too fancy but it will do the job - http://www.sears.ca/product/craftsma...940916-P7009V2