General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Oil Filter Study

Old 02-24-2015, 09:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring
Default Oil Filter Study

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...lterstudy.html

Thought this was a very good comparison on a large quantity of oil filters. With all the different opinions on which one is better, I thought this pretty much settled the disputes. There are some scary write ups on filters falling apart during testing. I saw one even threw out additional debree, much less filtered elements.

Notes:

STP and Fram turned up as garbage with paper end caps.

Mobile One is my pick due to quality build (steel construction) and local supply.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Friends dont let friends use Fram oil filters.... They are THE WORST!
Old 02-24-2015, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I've said it at least a hundred times and I'll keep saying it... ANY oil filter will keep your car running just fine if it's changed every 3,000 miles, whether you change your oil then or not. I'll give anyone a ride in my Fram filter using 465,000 mile truck to prove it.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

On a Hyundai Beta with hydraulic lash adjusters

the cheapest FRAM

will prevent sufficient oil flow to lubricate the head.

This is not an open question.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by i8acobra
I've said it at least a hundred times and I'll keep saying it... ANY oil filter will keep your car running just fine if it's changed every 3,000 miles, whether you change your oil then or not. I'll give anyone a ride in my Fram filter using 465,000 mile truck to prove it.
Yea, ok. You throw whatever garbage you want into your vehicles. I'll pay a couple dollars more to protect my $30k investments.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Did anyone see in this study, the Fram xtended filter actually scored highest out of all the filters! Other Fram products sucked, but their extended filter looks to be a keeper. At least in this study.

Oil Filter grade sheet
Old 02-25-2015, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JonGTR
Yea, ok. You throw whatever garbage you want into your vehicles. I'll pay a couple dollars more to protect my $30k investments.

I use OEM on the Evo cause it only gets changed once a year. The Leaf has no oil.

If you think spending more on an oil filter is gonna protect your car, go for it. But, 465,000 miles don't lie.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by i8acobra
I use OEM on the Evo cause it only gets changed once a year. The Leaf has no oil.

If you think spending more on an oil filter is gonna protect your car, go for it. But, 465,000 miles don't lie.
So let me get this straight. You don't use shitty oil filters on your nice cars, but only use a crappy filter on your old beater car? Yet you're telling us to use crappy filters on OUR nice cars?

Did you even bother to look at the reviews? Some of them FELL APART during the testing! Just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it won't happen to others.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I'd rather pay the extra few dollars on a better filter just for the peace of mind.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JonGTR
So let me get this straight. You don't use shitty oil filters on your nice cars, but only use a crappy filter on your old beater car? Yet you're telling us to use crappy filters on OUR nice cars?

Did you even bother to look at the reviews? Some of them FELL APART during the testing! Just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it won't happen to others.

I've had that truck since it was brand new. It's always had Fram. I use OEM on the Evo only because I work at a dealer and we have an account with Mitsu. They tested the filters in a way that doesn't duplicate actual use. Put the filter on a car, drive 3,000 miles, then take it apart. I'd bet my engine that the filter will not have "fallen apart".