General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Newbie to Hyundais - Engine Question

Old 07-17-2015, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Borrowed Getz
Default Newbie to Hyundais - Engine Question

Hi all, just wondering if the G4 prefix on 4 cylinder Hyundai engines means they're the same block? I've been looking around trying to find an answer to no avail. The search function won't allow me to simply search for "G4" as it's less than 3 characters. Oh, and I see a lot of references to Alpha and Beta engines, but can't find a description of what the differences between the two are. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Wazza.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I don't recommend the forum over this one (Hyundaiaftermarket is the best!) but http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/fo...ec-thread.html
Old 07-18-2015, 03:38 PM

Vehicle: Borrowed Getz

Thanks for the link. As far as I can tell, G4 simply means it's a 4-banger. Apparently there's some design changes throughout the years, so it looks like I'll have to do some research at the wrecking yard when the time comes.

Cheers,

Wazza.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:32 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Alpha and Beta are not interchangeable engines if that is what you are asking. Locating a full engine is the best if you are looking for something to build. The beta2 bottom is preferred and the casting on the heads is improved on the beta2 though if going for a full port and polish I recall reading that the beta heads have thinner water jackets which allow for more pnp leniency. The beta1 head requires too much work to mate with the beta2 block so it's not really a viable option. Either engine should come cheap enough so there's no real reason to go with a Beta1 anymore. There were also a ton of cars that came with the beta2 on both Hyundai and Kia's lineups, so searching should yield a world of results.