General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Lower powertrain 1" for lower center of gravity?

Old 04-22-2016, 09:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS
Default Lower powertrain 1" for lower center of gravity?

Flame suit on.

I was reading a post on another forum where a guy was installing a supercharger on an RC Tib, had clearance issues where the supercharger would hit the hood. So he successfully modified the engine/transmission mounts so the engine and transmission would sit 20mm (0.78 inch) lower in the engine bay. I feel that this could be an interesting project.

My reasons for doing this would be entirely different than his, I don't have a supercharger or any clearance issues. However I do feel that lowering the 415ish pound powertrain an inch or so would help improve handling slightly, by lowering the center of gravity (hey every little bit helps) I understand this won't make a huge difference by any means, but I can do it cheaply, somewhat easily and it'll be reversible, If I experience any downsides afterwords.

I believe the main drawback would be the increased chance of bottoming out and cracking the oil pan. My car isn't all that low, so I'll just be more careful. With the transmission mounted lower, the angle the axles will be straighter. I doubt it would be enough to put the axles into a bind. The car sits about 1 inch lower than stock so the axle angles will be equal to a car with 2 inch drop. Which I don't believe would put them into a bind. The shifter cables could end up in a bind due to the different angle, but I can correct that.

I understand this is an unconventional approach to improving handling, but I'm looking for ways to improve it a bit further without buying $1000 coilovers. I currently have lowering springs, Tiburon rear sway bar+poly bushings, 15x6.5 wheels. About 300 pounds of weight reduction (most of which was removed from over the front tires) I feel that the car handles decent but I want more.

Thoughts?
Old 04-25-2016, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I suspect that any improvements in handling will be negligible and possibly offset by unforeseen geometry issues. It should be doable and technically better than stock, I just doubt it'll be noticeable.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Originally Posted by 187sks
I suspect that any improvements in handling will be negligible and possibly offset by unforeseen geometry issues. It should be doable and technically better than stock, I just doubt it'll be noticeable.
I guess I'll do it and find out.