General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

How many people know how to weld?

Old 01-13-2011, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon
Default How many people know how to weld?

I just started taking a welding class to learn. I'm starting off easy with TIG welding and will hopefully move onto Arc and MIG. I know its an art and it takes alot of practice to get it down perfectly, but I'm willing to take my time and get it right. So wondering who here can weld, how long it took you to learn, and how long have you been doing it?
Old 01-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I can, but I am self taught and not very good lol.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:52 PM

Vehicle: 99 accent

I built a stick welder out of two microwave transformers (one at first), it took me about a day to figure out how weld things together/strike an arc, badly... My welds got a little better but it's still a pita and now I need fab an exhaust out of 22 gauge. I'm taking tig, mig, and flux core classes at the end of the month.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Learned by doing at work.

I have tig welded before but the new shop is not setup for it. We only have an arc and i'll use that once a week or so. I actually find that easier than tig welding.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

I think I could, but was never taught.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:32 PM

Vehicle: 02 Accent GL, 86 BMW 325es

Took three years of classes, oxy/acet. , Mig, and ARC, one year of each. It does take time to learn the techniques, and I had the most trouble with pipe welds, but it comes with time.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:21 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Wow, Easy... haha not, if you wanted easy you should have started with Mig, then Arc, then Tig. Tig obviously involves alot and takes tons of practice, Mig is by far the easiest, Set feed, set Amps for pentrating depth, then pull trigger, and then weld in your pattern, ever sense i started welding, i have fallen for the C pattern for its extra strenght and its beautiful looks!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:06 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

tig is not the "easiest" form of welding to most-... but to each their own-... i hate to mig on steel (e-z for most) but i love to tig on aluminum (which is the hardest to do for moste people). i went to a welding school here in fl. the course was taught by a former AWS chairman/CWI. i earned alot of certifications in both boiler plate and pipe. i'm particularly fond of tigging on aluminum though.

if you're able to-... get alot of experience on tigging aluminum, that way when you go to tig steel-... it will come alot easier.

if you ever need help let me know!
Old 01-28-2011, 04:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I weld and have a mig welder. I had someone show me what settings I needed to set the welder to and started practicing. My welding skills are OK, but it gets the job done.