General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

February 2013 Gas Price Check

Old 02-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default February 2013 Gas Price Check

http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/06/news...html?hpt=hp_c1

Why gas prices are rising

It's happening again.

It's not even close to the summer driving season -- in fact, it's not even springtime -- but as surely as February gives way to March, gas prices have begun their annual ascent.

The average price for a gallon of regular is now $3.53 a gallon, according to AAA. That's 17 cents higher than it was just a week ago, and 23 cents higher than last month.

In parts of Los Angeles, drivers are already paying more than $5 a gallon.

"I'm shocked. I don't know what happened," Diana Griffitts, a motorist filling up at a downtown LA station, told CNN. "Just a week ago I paid under $4 a gallon. I'd like an explanation."

Well Diana, we'll try.

Analysts say gas prices are going up for two basic reasons: oil prices are rising, and refineries are shutting down.

Oil prices have jumped 10% over the last two months. The price of crude accounts for 68% of the cost of a gallon of gas, according to the Energy Information Administration. Other costs include refining (8%), marketing and distribution (11%), and taxes (13%).

Energy analysts say oil prices are rising partly because the economy is improving. The U.S. housing market had its best year in the last five, U.S. job growth is steady, and the Chinese economy is showing an uptick.

OPEC production cuts are also causing oil prices to rise. The cartel is believed to have cut production by about 1 million barrels a day over the last few months, partly as a response to rising oil production elsewhere, notably the United Sates.

On the refining front, several refineries have either shut down or are about to for maintenance before the switch to summer gasoline, which often has to be formulated to prevent smog buildup in the warmer weather. That comes on top of the closure of a Hess refinery in New Jersey last month, which was reportedly losing money.

"There's no shortage," said Andrew Lebow, an energy broker at Jefferies Bache in New York. "But there's anticipation that as refineries go down, stockpiles will draw."

Investors are moving their cash into energy futures, attracted by the improving economy and potentially lower gasoline supplies.

In early December, 11.7% of the most commonly traded U.S. oil futures contracts were held by investment funds betting the price would go higher, according to the Commodity Futures Trading Commission. As of last week, that number jumped to 15%.

That money-movement ritual happens every spring, according to Tom Kloza, chief oil analyst at the Oil Price Information Service. Each year, though, it seems to be happening earlier and earlier, he said.

Fortunately for motorists, prices this year are not expected to be as high as last year.

They should say what the REAL reason why prices are going up...oil greed! Simple as that.

Paid $3.86 for regular this morning in the Jeep. Premium is over $4 in a lot of areas.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

What? No criticism for Congress and local legislators who take more in tax per gallon than the companies takes in profit? No hate for commodity speculators?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

Hate to all of the greedy b*tches! $3.79 for regular here.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

$3.25 for 87 in Nashville.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:01 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra GLS Sportswagon

This is why the price of fuel is going up VVV

Old 02-07-2013, 09:22 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

What XGODZX said

Cheapest fuel in perth today: $4.98/gallon

Average fuel price in perth today: $5.67/gallon

Do a skid.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:11 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5l Limited

$3.73 for 87 yesterday
Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

$3.39 for the reggy here
Old 02-16-2013, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

$3.56 for 87 near me in Illinois
Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

I try and not look. I also avoid totally filling the tank so I dont see how much I am getting taken for...