General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Do the cops around you have these on their cars?

Old 12-07-2015, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Accent
Default Do the cops around you have these on their cars?

Ive heard that certain plate covers will block out those readers but I dont know anyone who has one that works.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

What you need is BRIGHT infrared LEDs around the frame, they'll blind the cameras but be invisible to the naked eye. They're pretty cheap now too.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

The officer has a monitor in the car. He'll be able to tell if your plate isn't readable. I'm pretty sure every state has a law about obstructing or making your plate unreadable. Here, cops don't have them, but repo guys do.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

There are a few SUV's with them around here.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by i8acobra
The officer has a monitor in the car. He'll be able to tell if your plate isn't readable. I'm pretty sure every state has a law about obstructing or making your plate unreadable. Here, cops don't have them, but repo guys do.
Unless you very liberally interpret the wording of the law here IR illuminated plates would not be illegal. It's likely to draw a lot of personal attention from an officer if he sees it though.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

If an officer is driving and the machine pops and error when trying to read your plate, he's definitely going to stop you and ask what's up with your plate. It would be a different if the machine was sitting on the side of the road, like a traffic camera. Don't really understand why anyone has a problem with these. They're just automating something cops do anyways, and unlike an unattended traffic camera, these actually require officer involvement. They're only looking for plates with warrants attached. They're not using these to track your movements.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

State, Sheriffs, and local PD cars all have those here.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by i8acobra
...Don't really understand why anyone has a problem with these...They're not using these to track your movements.
They're probably not currently tracking your movements. The government has a terrible track record when it comes to collection of data. Generally if possible they err on the side of save everything forever, use it however they wish without telling us.

I really don't have much of an issue with current implementation but I do think it's virtually inevitable that it'll be used for bulk data collection which I do have a problem with.