General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.
View Poll Results: How do you park?
Pull forward
20.00%
Back in
60.00%
Both
20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Study: Majority of American drivers park incorrectly

Old 12-10-2015, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Gen Coupe V6
Default Study: Majority of American drivers park incorrectly

A New survey from AAA shows that three out of four American drivers park incorrectly.

AAA warns drivers to avoid a common parking lot mistake this holiday season. According to a new survey, more than 76 percent of U.S. drivers most frequently park their vehicle by pulling forward into a parking spot, rather than backing in. Experts warn this is a riskier driving practice because it leaves pedestrians more vulnerable when a driver later reverses from the spot.

“When it comes to parking, the majority of American drivers are on the naughty list this year,” said John Nielsen, AAA’s managing director of Automotive Engineering and Repair. “Pulling out of a parking spot, instead of reversing, is an easy way to increase safety and visibility in busy parking lots this holiday season.”

“Recognizing that American parking habits differ from much of the world, automakers are increasingly adding technology to vehicles that is designed to address rear visibility concerns,” continued Nielsen. “However, AAA’s testing of these systems reveals significant shortcomings when used in real-world conditions and Americans should rely more on driving skills than technology.”

Previous AAA testing of rear-view camera systems, required on all new vehicles by 2018, revealed significant consumer benefits including increased visibility of the rear blind zone by an average of 46 percent. However, it’s important to note that no system shows 100 percent of the space behind a vehicle and that rain, snow or slush can impede camera visibility.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I park further away so I can find open spots that I can pull through. But if not, I pull in forward.

The rear camera is a stupid idea (unless you're trying to get as close as possible to an object). It makes people too reliable on the camera and they don't get the side views they need to watch for pedestrians.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

If Americans start backing into spaces there will be an epidemic of fender benders and door dings. Most people can't park correctly pulling in forward and couldn't back anywhere to save their lives. A lot of new cars make it even worse with their gun-slit windows and high beltlines.

Either way you're backing into the spot or out of it. oblivious pedestrians are prone to being hit either way.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

TIL 187SKS is in fact smarter than all of AAA put together. I can only imagine this "study" was funded by the International Brotherhood of Automotive Body Repairmen.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

If everyone was parking incorrectly, then why isn't it taught in driver's ed or defensive driving? It's BS.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

I usually try to back in or park far enough away where I can just pull through so I can just pull right out of the spot.