General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

1st Tib with Shiftronic

Old 08-29-2001, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the upgrade they do is still a slushbox. Also, it is not a shiftronic that you normally think of. This shiftronic tranny you can not turn on or off (you know, go back into automatic mode). Which means that you will always have to shift. It would be most effective if you did the full performance tranny upgrade (bulletproofed), and had them redo your throttle body. Parts for the tranny upgrade kit, throttle body, and shiftronic run about 1500 total, NOT including the install. OUCH! Hopefully you can get some sponsership out of them. Good luck man...I may be heading down the same route as you...

Oh and with the shiftronic you will be able to control when your computer shift your transmission instead of having the computer decide. Basically you can bounce it off the red line everytime if you want. Normally if you let the computer take over your shifting you will shift at a lower rpm (which in turn makes you loose quite a bit of power) than you would with say a manual. With a shiftronic you can get right up to 6500 rpms and then shift into your next gear. As quoted by Random (what would we do without him?):

"The tiburons torque curve is nearly totally flat. You want to shift as LATE as possible to ensure you are as high as possible in the next gear, and to get the most out of the gear you are in.

The rev limiter is 6750, so you should take your tibby to 6500 or a tad higher before shifting. Shifting at 6000 RPM WILL slow you down."

Like I said, your automatic will automatically shift at a lower rpm causing you to loose power like random said. Having a shiftronic will be able to let you decide where to shift.

I'm pretty sure that most of this info is correct. Someone please correct me if I am wrong...don't want to lead anyone astray.

[ August 29, 2001: Message edited by: JGraham9382 ]
Old 08-29-2001, 02:25 PM

Shiftronics in stock cars (ie, santa fe, and any other shiftronic type system i trieD)
shift anyway for you if you bring it too high.. but its *STILL* like below ideal.
grr..
and theres still 1 second of delay in stock shiftronics. So I got to thinking, why bother, i can do the L-> 2 -> D stuff myself..
I do hope your shiftronic offers less latency in shifting.. like when you flick it boom it shifts. not 1 second later.
Old 08-29-2001, 02:39 PM

Vehicle: Custom Wagon

Hey man congrats and good luck with the new set up.
Old 08-29-2001, 06:49 PM

JGraham9382 is pretty much on the nose. Shiftronic lets you decide when to UPshift and DOWNshift. To gain on the auto shift delay they recomend the torque converter upgrade as well as the valve bodies. Shiftronic usually goes for about a G from level ten!
Old 08-29-2001, 10:09 PM

Shiftronic usually goes for about a G from level ten!

They quoted me a little less than $500 for parts. No word on the labor though.
Old 08-30-2001, 11:50 AM

Im not sure who it was but someone from the FXtreme board did put a shiftronic in their tibby and noticed to gains at all!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2001, 11:51 AM

Sorry i meant NO GAINS AT ALL
Old 08-30-2001, 11:55 AM

I was reading my emails and found out who did this to their tibby.It was Mike from FXtreme and it was McIntyre Hyundai in El Paso, TX who did it for Mike.
Mike said he really didnt notice any gains at all
Old 08-30-2001, 01:34 PM

Did he just do the shiftronic, or did he redo his torque converter as well?
Old 08-30-2001, 03:15 PM

I don't believe that the Shiftronic alone is going to give you performance gains in and of itself. It allows you to perform better AS A DRIVER by giving you say in when the shifts happen. You won't get a boost in horsepower, but you'll have a better means of controlling the transfer of the horsepower you currently have to the pavement.