External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Who has painted their car a completely different color?

Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Who has painted their car a completely different color?

How long did it take from start to finish and how much did it run you? Would 2 weeks and $2500 be about right for a new paint color? That includes taking off the doors & hatch, doing the jambs, and engine bay.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:18 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon

if you do the jams and engine bay your self, a shop would do a single stage for that much.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

hiya.gif Kinda sorta changed the color of my car. Went from regular Cardinal Red to Cardinal Red Pearl. When the sun hits it, it changes all kinds of shades of red. Also having a Kandy Red base with the Cardinal Red Pearl top coat and 9 coats of clear helps make it look alot different than the standard red.

2 weeks is about right if you're taking your time and remove everything...including all the rubber glass moldings too. Plus, if there isnt much body work to be done, that will save time as well. As far as price goes...its going to be different anywhere you go. You could go to Maaco and get $500 paint job that will last you a couple of months, or go to a fully custom shop that specializes in building show vehicles and have the paint look perfect and last you years to come. Then you could be looking at thousands and thousands of dollars for a paint job like that. Theres ALOT that goes into it and it depends on how crazy you want to go.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

make sure you find a body shop that doesn't make 90% of their income off of insurance claims. i know that is there bread and butter but trust me, that will prolong your time greatly. i found this out the hard way even when i gave my painter 3k upfront.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:08 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

2 weeks and 2500.00

2 weeks can be done no problem.

Is 2500 the quote you got?

I just got a similar quote But I had already bought the paint and other supplies.

The average paint guy gets 50.00+ an hour so even at 40 hours a week its 2k just for labor and some may charge more. I'm not saying hes gonna work a full 40 hours just on your car in one week but probably 40 hrs in the 2 weeks. Then add your paint, primer, thinner, clear coat and your at about 2600.00 conservatively.

Then there's the unexpected stuff like if they find rust or things just don't go perfect. I'd say if you were told 2500 plan on 3000 just in case.