External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

U.S. requires new cars to have backup cameras

Old 04-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Can you integrate it into a vehicle's CAN BUS system so that problems are diagnosable with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools? Does the one you're looking at also have a sprayer plumbed into the washer reservoir and an air compressor to dry the lens like the one on the 2014 Nissan Rogue?

It doesn't have a gun turret with automatic targeting to clear the road of hazards either.

I didn't say every backup camera could be had for less than $100 retail. Just saying that including a camera doesn't have to be expensive, especially with the quantities involved.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by 187sks
It doesn't have a gun turret with automatic targeting to clear the road of hazards either.

I didn't say every backup camera could be had for less than $100 retail. Just saying that including a camera doesn't have to be expensive, especially with the quantities involved.

OEM's are not going to install cameras held on by license plate bolts and monitors velcro'ed to the dash.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Administrator

And they don't need to. They run one extra cable to the back. Design their bumper with an extra hole in it. Run the feed to their already existing (in most cases) dash screen. Include an extra video input on the board for the screen. Update the software to also be able to show this input.

Hardware list:

18 feet of cable

One camera

One additional video input on circuit board

Buy these items in packs of 50,000 and I'll bet the total cost would be under $50 per installed unit even with a HD infrared capable camera.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

if it cost's the manufacturer $50 to add a camera, you can bet the cost to the consumer would be $250+
Old 04-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

And they don't need to. They run one extra cable to the back. Design their bumper with an extra hole in it. Run the feed to their already existing (in most cases) dash screen. Include an extra video input on the board for the screen. Update the software to also be able to show this input.

Hardware list:

18 feet of cable

One camera

One additional video input on circuit board

Buy these items in packs of 50,000 and I'll bet the total cost would be under $50 per installed unit even with a HD infrared capable camera.

Hahahahahaha!!!! You have an extremely simplistic view of how R&D works. If there's a problem with the camera, it needs to be diagnosable. That means it has to be integrated into the CAN BUS system. At Nissan, our cars have several different stereo systems. Some are made by Hitachi. Some are made by Bosch. We have at least a dozen different models of each. There are 4 different stereo part #'s just for Altimas. Each one needs to be redesigned internally, not to mention the case needs to be redesigned. The tooling that stamps the cases needs to be remade. Then, new part numbers need to be created, parts systems need to be updated, diagnostic software and service manuals need to be updated, etc... This is not Best Buy. We don't just zip tie a cable under the carpet, tap into an accessory circuit and plug an RCA cable in the back.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

They could always just bolt one of those mirrors you see on postal trucks. No need for messing with the CAN system.. just a few bolts.. maybe a washer or two. Done.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by pas1216
if it cost's the manufacturer $50 to add a camera, you can bet the cost to the consumer would be $250+
Profit margin is entirely in the hands of the automaker.

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Hahahahahaha!!!! You have an extremely simplistic view of how R&D works. If there's a problem with the camera, it needs to be diagnosable. That means it has to be integrated into the CAN BUS system. At Nissan, our cars have several different stereo systems. Some are made by Hitachi. Some are made by Bosch. We have at least a dozen different models of each. There are 4 different stereo part #'s just for Altimas. Each one needs to be redesigned internally, not to mention the case needs to be redesigned. The tooling that stamps the cases needs to be remade. Then, new part numbers need to be created, parts systems need to be updated, diagnostic software and service manuals need to be updated, etc... This is not Best Buy. We don't just zip tie a cable under the carpet, tap into an accessory circuit and plug an RCA cable in the back.
There are 4 years until this goes into effect. What you're saying would be true if they had to implement the cameras into the current system. I doubt that most of the current entertainment systems will still be in use in 4 years, so adding the additional input will be as easy as it sounds as it's taken into account during the design process before tooling is fabricated, cases designed, etc.

It does not need to be integrated into the CAN-BUS network. Granted in most cases it probably will be, but it doesn't have to be.

Dinner can cost $250 at a nice restaurant or it can cost $2.50 at the golden arches. It doesn't mean that two McDoubles isn't still dinner just because someone chooses to spend $250.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

There are 4 years until this goes into effect. What you're saying would be true if they had to implement the cameras into the current system. I doubt that most of the current entertainment systems will still be in use in 4 years, so adding the additional input will be as easy as it sounds as it's taken into account during the design process before tooling is fabricated, cases designed, etc.

It does not need to be integrated into the CAN-BUS network. Granted in most cases it probably will be, but it doesn't have to be.

Dinner can cost $250 at a nice restaurant or it can cost $2.50 at the golden arches. It doesn't mean that two McDoubles isn't still dinner just because someone chooses to spend $250.

Yes, it does need to be integrated. If it's not, that defeats the purpose of the CAN system. ALL features on new cars are part of the CAN system. The systems also need to be warrantied, which means they need to last. Eat nothing but McDoubles for a year and see how you feel. You're not gonna win this argument. I work on new Nissan's for a living. I see the insides of these systems every day. There's no way to just "plug in a camera".
Old 04-13-2014, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Yet. You forgot to add, "Yet." In 4 years the systems will have been largely redesigned for new models in most cases. Cameras are increasingly optional or even standard equipment from the OEMs. This requirement is probably not throwing a wrench in anyone's design plans.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Nobody said anything about throwing a wrench in the design plans. OEM's have known for years this was coming. This doesn't change the fact that these added things need to be paid for. the cost isn't just the camera. The cost is the camera, plus all of the support costs.