External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

U.S. requires new cars to have backup cameras

Old 04-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default U.S. requires new cars to have backup cameras

http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/31/auto...html?hpt=hp_t3

Kind of stupid that they are forcing cars to have them, which means it will be an added cost that you must have when buying new. I understand they want it for safety reasons, but most people that I know who have them, never use the feature.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

I See more accidents happening with stupid people relying on the camera instead of looking back.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:18 PM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Old 04-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

it's for safety. Don't you like safety? I bet you want to run over a bunch of kids backwards. Hater. Haterade must be your favorite drink.

But seriously it's a matter of perspective if you can leave cynicism aside. I'm for not mandating what should be optional equipment but how far do you want to take it?

Back-up cameras?

Tire pressure monitoring?

Padded dashboards?

Seatbelts?

Headlights?

Most people would agree cars should have some things. Your legislators think yours should have cameras. 5% of the people in my jurisdiction participated in the last election. Do you vote? When's the last time you called your congressman? Do you support SEMA SAN? There's not much any of us can do alone but the collective 'meh' coming from us isn't helping prevent bills like this from being passed.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Stupid parents are stupid and ruining it for everyone else.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:38 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I was skeptical about the validity of this post considering the date.

It's just realistic enough to be true, but I think far fetched for budget vehicles. I can't imagine someone in the market for something cheap like an Accent paying for a full in-dash system. You're just turning would-be new car shoppers onto the used lot. I think back on my first Accent, which had a sticker price of $10,400 because it was so very very basic. 3 years later we went to buy a 2nd one and the price was up more than 5k on the same model just because of all the bullshit they had to cram in due to federal safety guidelines. They do this sh*t, but then turn around and try to regulate vehicles on a state level so hard that one has almost no choice but to buy new.

Backup cameras are frivolousness nonsense. Look, use ALL of the mirrors and pay attention. This isn't going to solve anything! Between a**holes on the phone, snacking on 6 boxes of poptarts at the same time, or doing their f*cking makeup, there are enough distractions that the screen and warnings will become yet another unheeded light in the cabin.

What's next? Mandatory Lexus/Mercedes auto-parking?

Where is Karl Pilkington when we need him?

Old 04-02-2014, 08:08 AM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

^Amen
Old 04-03-2014, 01:08 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Because reversing deaths are actually a significant cause of road trauma. All of this useless obsession with SUVs means that the rear end of cars needs to have a lot of structure up high, so as to be compatible with all the high-riding SUVs in a rear end collision.

I mean, how can you be expected to see a toddler behind one of these cars, even if you are twisted right around in your seat?

SUVs, wrecking the universe once again
Old 04-03-2014, 02:28 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel

Hey check it out, Renault has a version of the Veloster....... but their rear end is actually decent looking.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
I mean, how can you be expected to see a toddler behind one of these cars, even if you are twisted right around in your seat?

The problem isn't the car. It's the parent letting their toddler be in the driveway unattended. I can't think of any legitimate reason why you would ever be backing out with a toddler behind you unless you suck at parenting. Toddlers should not be outside playing without adult supervision. There are no accidents, there's carelessness that leads to tragedy.