External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Texting and driving

Old 09-11-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT
Default Texting and driving

Guys, please don't text and drive. Seriously. Even taking your eyes off the road for half a second to glance at your phone can have serious consequences. I'm not 100% positive that that's what the girl who hit me was doing but I'm not sure how else you don't notice that you have a red light and have HAD a red light for a while.

Luckily, I've got the car repaired and back on the road. Need to repaint the front bumper, the passenger side fender, and the hood. Since it wasn't my fault the insurance paid out but not until they decided the car was totaled. All-in-all I paid $5,500 to fix the car myself. I'm actually still waiting on parts and this was almost a month ago.

So, please please please don't text and drive!
Old 09-12-2017, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

That sucks. I'm glad at least you're on the road again.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Damn that sucks! Did the girl get a ticket? How does the car drive now that it's been repaired and will it have a salvage title? They say your car never drives the same after it's been in an accident.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:19 PM

It's actually been driving totally fine. The insurance company wanted me to sign something that turned it into a salvage title but I don't see why. Everything was repairable, there was no structural damage so I'm not really planning on getting it turned into a salvaged title. I've got some lowering springs coming in and I'll get an alignment afterward. I need to get a few things painted as well but after that it'll be like new
Old 09-12-2017, 04:21 PM

Vehicle: 00 Elantra

Someone once told me that if you're in an accident and the airbags come out, your car will almost always be considered totaled even if there wasnt much damage to the body. I dont know how true that is but glad you got your car fixed and back to driving it.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It's strictly because airbags cost so much to have repaired. If it costs more to repair than to replace, it's considered to be a total loss. After a total loss, even if it's driveable, it's considered "salvage"
Old 09-14-2017, 11:41 AM

I actually heard that too. I double checked and in this case it wasn't a factor. Turned out there were some bent frame pieces and that's why they considered it totaled. Luckily I got them banged back into place and they'll be welded and back to new. I actually found a new steering wheel airbag for $200 which was great.

Originally Posted by Stocker
It's strictly because airbags cost so much to have repaired. If it costs more to repair than to replace, it's considered to be a total loss. After a total loss, even if it's driveable, it's considered "salvage"