External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Shaved Handles.......

Old 11-16-2001, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Shaved Handles.......

OKAY..A Bunch Of You Asked...So Now I'm Delivering.....

Here's a step by step FAQ on shaving your door handles. This is one of the coolest mods one could do to their ride. It is fairly simple..but if you have no experience with welding, or using fiberglass/bondo...then leave it to the pro's.

First off..buy a good shaved handle kit. I've always used Autoloc with mine and clients rides. They're website is www.autoloc.com I have yet to know anyone to have a kit go bad. It's also very simple to install. If anyone has ever installed their own keyless entry on their cars..then they will DEFINITLY be able to hook everything up. But don't sweat it. The Autoloc kit comes with step by step instructions with pictures. You should be able to follow the instructions quite easily..even if you never hooked anything up like this before. The hardest part is the actual shaving part itself. Hopefully this little tutorial will help out.

Step 1

- When both doors operate correctly, continue with the body work.

- Make a plate out of steel that is the size of the opening or area to be replaced. Square or rectangle shaped plates are the easiest to fit into place.

- Mark the Area to be removed from the door with a felt pen.

Step 2

- Using a Die Grinder, Cut Off Wheel, or similar tool, remove the area to be replaced. Make sure to cut to the inside of your marks.

- Fit Replacement plate into place, trim if necessary. Clamp or hold in place (duct tape works well for this).

Step 3

- Tack weld into place and check for alignment. Adjust if necessary.

- Finish welding Replacement Filler Panel into place. Do Not leave any holes or gaps.

Step 4

- Grind welds flat.

- Apply Plastic Filler and sand to contour.

- Repeat for other door.

- Prime, Sand Primer, and Refinish

PIECE OF CAKE!!! *lol* If anyone has any questions..feel free to ask away! wink.gif

[ November 16, 2001: Message edited by: 2000Lo&ShowTibby ]
Old 11-16-2001, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe a stupid question, but How do you open your door?
Old 11-16-2001, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by erotishock:
Maybe a stupid question, but How do you open your door?

*lol* It's not a stupid question man. Alot of people wonder how you get the door open when there's no handle or lock there anymore, also. But to answer your question....you buy the kit that comes with electronic soleniod to pop the door handle mechanism. I'm sure you've seen people open their trunks by pressing a button on their alarm remote. Well..it works the same exact way. You hook up an electronic solenoid to the handle, hook an electronic popper button and you're all set. Most people usually just connect it to their alarm systems. So you would go to your car, disable the alarm (if you have keyless entry..this will unlock the doors), then you would push another button on the remote..and the doors will "pop" open for ya.

Sometimes people get worried because if they're remote battery dies..then they can't get in their cars. Well...what I usually do is hook up a hidden push button switch somewhere on the car. That way, if the remote dies...then you have the fail safe switch to fall back on. You can get VERY custom with this also. On my Mazda lowrider with Hydraulics, I used the emblems on the fender as the popper. When no one was around...I would press the "B" in B2200, and the door would open. You can do alot of fun and genious stuff like that. It just depends on how good of an imagination you have! wink.gif
Old 11-17-2001, 12:54 PM

how do you open..DAMN erotishock stole my question tongue.gif wink.gif smile.gif rolleyes.gif
Old 11-19-2001, 03:14 AM

How much you think it would cost if you had a body shop do it professionally?
I am very interested in getting it done.
Old 11-19-2001, 04:00 AM

I really like the clean look this mod leaves you with, but wouldn't you be screwed if you left your lights on and your battery dies?
Old 11-19-2001, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by QÜIKTIB:
I really like the clean look this mod leaves you with, but wouldn't you be screwed if you left your lights on and your battery dies? Â
Originally posted by 2000Lo&ShowTibby:

Sometimes people get worried because if they're remote battery dies..then they can't get in their cars. Well...what I usually do is hook up a hidden push button switch somewhere on the car. That way, if the remote dies...then you have the fail safe switch to fall back on. You can get VERY custom with this also. On my Mazda lowrider with Hydraulics, I used the emblems on the fender as the popper. When no one was around...I would press the "B" in B2200, and the door would open. You can do alot of fun and genious stuff like that. It just depends on how good of an imagination you have! Â Â Â Â
Old 11-19-2001, 04:13 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by erotishock:
How much you think it would cost if you had a body shop do it professionally?
I am very interested in getting it done.
Well..for the most part...it's mostly the body work that will run you alot of money. A body shop that hasn't had the experience doing this kind of mod may charge between 4 and 500 bux just to shave the handles and install the electronics. It'll probably be a little more with paint and finishing everything. If you go to a ricer shop..it might be a little cheaper since they do stuff like that once in awhile.

Originally posted by QÜIKTIB:
I really like the clean look this mod leaves you with, but wouldn't you be screwed if you left your lights on and your battery dies? Â

The thing is, is that the electronic poppers take a VERY little amount power to open your door. So you could leave your lights on all night, and although your battery would be dead to the point where your car wouldn't start...you battery would still just have enough juice in it for you to open your doors. Then open the door, pop your hood, and get your battery jumped. Or if you really want to make things safe..don't shave your hatch keyhole. Just open your hatch, and crawl in through the back.

This IS a reversible modification. Just take all the popper electronics out, cut the hole in your door, re-connect your door handle and handle mechanism and your good to go.
Old 11-19-2001, 04:15 AM

KayJai - the answer doesn't match the question.

The question was in reference to the main battery in your car. The answer from Lo&Show was regarding the little watch battery in your keyless entry remote. The poppers that are running the doors still need electricity to operate. If the car battery goes down, you're right, you've got some problems. sad.gif