External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

New Look

Old 06-08-2008, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Well, I've finally done it. After seeing Caj's Tiburon and drooling over that for so long, I decided to do it myself as well... I put an STI scoop on my hood! Of course, it is fully functional, you can look right in and see my IM, strut bar, etc. I loved the look on Caj's car, and I love it even more in person. It fits so nicely, and here it is a couple months after installing it, and I still love it just as much as the first day.
As for the install, it wasn't bad. I used a dremel to cut the hood, then generic brackets from Lowes, a rattle can paint job (shines sooo beautifullly!), and a good chunk of time.
I know a lot of you won't like the look, but hey, I do, and none of you have to see it wink1.gif Let me know what you all think!
Here's the pics:

Old 06-08-2008, 09:36 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I think it should be more forward on the hood. At least your strut tower bar is cool. It looks good, but it dosn't look very functional except keeping your strut bar cool.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:40 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

That looks really good!! Especially the first pic.

Almost makes me want a stock hood so I could do it too. hail.gif
Old 06-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Banned

nah, its in a great spot.. itll keep the IM cool. any farther forward and it would look retarded..

looks good.. would look better with a front lip or dropped in the front.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:42 PM
DTN

I'd like to vent my exhaust heat downwards from my engine. I think it would look worse up front, but it would be more beneficial.

Like I said, it looks great, I just think there's got to be a way to make a more functional one look good up front.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:44 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

not too bad it looks good in black. i'm not big fan of scoops like that but if you like it thats all that counts
Old 06-08-2008, 09:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

It's directly over top of the intake manifold. It blows straight into the space between the manifold and the block, so it covers more surface area on the IM. The strut bar is just behind the back end of the scoop, so it's not really catching any air. If it was any farther forward, it would just be blowing on the spark plug cover, and that wouldn't do any good... It goes from the back edge of the block (just catching the edge of the spark plug cover and the rest of the valve cover) and going to the back edge of the strut bar. A lot of time was put into locating it just right, and especially into getting it straight...
I love seeing the heat ripple out of there when I'm stopped cool.gif
Old 06-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned

and thats EXACTLY what a scoop is for.. pushing air onto something and cooling it..

if it was located on over the exhaust manifold, it would cool down the header and not be beneficial at all...

a vent would be a bit beneficial, but when your driving, air is circulating enough to keep it pretty cool in the bay.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:07 PM
DTN

Yeah, but the first place the air goes is through the radiator and over the engine, or above the headers and over the engine. Either way, more cool air at the front would be a good thing.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

dang, that really looks good strike, good job bud. fing02.gif

one ? though, is that one bigger than caj's? i thought he has a littler scoop? either way i like it.