External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Light Cap For Hid Wire

Old 05-18-2006, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Since most of us have been convinced to spend $240 on a set of HID's instead of $2,400 on roadkill repair costs, I have looked into cheap and easy ways of modifying our headlight caps for the best solution possible. It's been done before and some of the members have done a good job with trying to get the wires to fit through.

Most of the HID kits do not fit regularly through the caps, so what I did was I've taken a 1 1/2" hole saw cutter for my drill and cut a hole in the cap for the foglight to fit through. After fitting the assembly through, I noticed I had a huge hole in my cap. I took four CD's (that's right, four compact discs) and using a piece of wood for the base, cut a 2" hole into the center of the CD to get a ring. Then a 1 1/2 hole saw cut through another CD to fill up the other side.

When I was finished, that gave me 4 washers/rings, two for one cap. Two 2", two 1 1/2". Using scissors, I then took each washer and cut a radius to fit wires through. I then sprayed the washers black to keep debris from forming.

Then I slipped the 2" ring through the wire, fitted it into the back of the cap. Used 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant to seal it around. It's polyurethane that forms a rubbery seal but dries to a nice hardened state. Perfect solution! After that, slip the 1 1/2" ring through the front side to get a nice coverup. Seal that again.

Now I have to paint it all black to make it look good and protective. I've fit the whole HID assembly through the cap, and what an easy way to do it!

Do you guys have any suggestions on if I can use somekind of rubber fitting or grommet I could buy to seal that little hole in the center? I would then fill it with polyurethane.

Total Cost? Under $5.00 for both caps, and you've got a whole tube of useful polyurethane. And it's not like you're going to listen to your mom's Prince CD's again.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:28 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

where did you get your HID's?

The ones I got from Uneek (HALO HID Kit, comes in a lil' white lunchbox type thing) came with a rubber grommet already fitted over the wiring (most do). If you cut the right size hole on the center of the cap (and make sure it is at least close to a perfect circle), then the rubber grommet fits nicely around the inside and outside of the hole, sealing it from air, water, the atmosphere...

shrug.gif
Old 05-18-2006, 03:41 PM

Oh yeah man I have the Halos too and they come with a grommet. too, however forgot to mention these are H3's and it doesn't slip far enough back to go through the cap. I just discovered that the end of the grommet fits perfectly in through the CD hole though so it's perfectly sealed as of now.

Sure there's the option to do that too though if you force the grommet back far enough and drill the hole enough to go into the cap. lol i'm such an idiot for not doing that but this works too!
Old 05-19-2006, 09:43 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata

hmm interesting

i got H3's from Jay-M (member of this site) and the rubber gromet looks identical to my Halo H7's

so i drilled a hole just big enough for the rubber gromet and it fits alright shrug.gif shrug.gif
Old 05-19-2006, 10:40 PM

yeah it sucks man i drilled the holes too big because i'm an idiot owned.gif but this keeps the water out as well. as long as no water gets in there it's a good way of doing it if you don't have the grommet. ah well, still works haha.

you guys, i have a problem! one of my lights works. it's BRIGHT as hell. infact my fog are brighter than my Lexus HID's goddamn they light up the whole damn driveway. but in order for the fuse not to blow out i have to unplug the passenger side HID. any thoughts? is the wiring on the second light reversed somehow? i need help quick, doing this tonight.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:30 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata

my Halo HIDs came with instruction recommending fuse upgrade from 15A --> 25A

I did that for both my low beams and fogs, and it's been running fine.

if you're worried about stock harness melting on you, get a relay for $25 shipped (draws power directly from battery to the headlights)

at NT.com:
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthrea...85&page=1&pp=25

or his online store:
http://www.thexenonstore.com/