External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Led Conversion

Old 09-12-2008, 04:51 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok, i'm posting this up because people were wondering what LED bulbs to put in their cars. So here we go.

Front markers white 168

WLED-WHP6 LED wedge

http://superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

Front corners 1157A

1157a SMT tower

buy here http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

Rear marker/brakes red 1157R

24-LED 15mm Bayonet Based Bulbs

http://superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html

rear turn signal red 1156R

24-LED 15mm Bayonet Based Bulbs

Rear license plate 194 white
WLED-WHP6 LED wedge

http://superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

reverse lamps 1156 white
24-LED 15mm Bayonet Based Bulbs 1156

I made my own for the interior because there is no direct swap. It takes 20+ hours of work to do the interior lamps evenly. There is no direct swap which looks good.

a bit off topic, but I was searching and found out if you're trying to just get rid of all of the incandescent lighting, you can buy a e-bay replacement ballasts and replacement HID bulbs for around $40 shipped.

Hope this helps you get rid of your incandescent lighting.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Cool, this should be a sticky somewhere.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:21 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

^^^

i agree this should be sticky...thanks for all the information cause i was the one asking all these questions about the led conversion
Old 09-12-2008, 08:04 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Uhm, there's been a bulb chart for RD1 and 2 in the FAQ for years.

Nice that DTN put in some links for you, but one sticky on the subject is enough I think.

So everyone knows, 194 will also fit in the 168's, they have the same size wedge.

Also, if you are going to LED convert, some important notes.

1. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE BIGGEST BULB YOU CAN FIT IN THE HOUSING WITH THE MOST LED'S!!! If you don't, you'll have poor illumination.

2. Make sure the bulbs you put in have LED's that shine to the sides, and to the rear if at all possible. if not, you'll have poor illumination.

3. If you replace your brake light bulbs with LED's, your cruise control will cease to function. Resistor load kits might fix this though.

4. if you replace your blinkers with LED's, your turn signal indicator and the bulbs theselves will flash at a VERY high rate of speed, like they do when one of the bulbs is out. Resistor load kits should fix this too.

5. Try to get the same color LED replacement bulbs as the lens they are behind. Red on a red lens looks good, white on a red lens looks pink or washed out.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:43 AM
DTN

194 will not fit in the front markers. Only 168. 194 are bigger

30LED superbright LED bulbs will not fit into our slots, they are oversize. 24 LED is the max.

for the cruise control on the left brake light, you can use ANY resistor that will handle the power. I'm using a 200 ohm 5W resistor. get the highest ohm highest wattage resistor you can find at radio shack and put it across the + and - of the brake light wires.

The bulbs I've listed will work well with tinting. They are the brightest bulbs that will fit.

Dont waste your money on resistor loads, they just use more power which defeats the purpose of LEDs. Use a solid state LED flasher which will reduce the rate of speed. It's the best method.

As long as you pick out the bulbs I've listed, you will have the brightest bulbs on the market and there will be no issues.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:48 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

i thought the new HID vendor was supposed to put together an LED swap kit or something...just mentioning it as he could be a good source
Old 09-12-2008, 08:50 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

QUOTE (RED ZMAN @ Sep 12 2008, 10:04 AM)
3. If you replace your brake light bulbs with LED's, your cruise control will cease to function. Resistor load kits might fix this though.

good thing i dont have to cruise control so i dont have the worry about that
Old 09-12-2008, 09:00 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (DTN @ Sep 12 2008, 08:43 AM)
194 will not fit in the front markers. Only 168. 194 are bigger

Uhm, tell that to the 194's in my markers. There are threads here about it, many folks have 194's in there, that's where I got mine from.

194's also fit in the licence plate lights.

There are tons of different LED 194 bulbs, the BIGGEST ones may not fit, but 194's DO fit.

Dont waste your money on resistor loads, they just use more power which defeats the purpose of LEDs. Use a solid state LED flasher which will reduce the rate of speed. It's the best method.

Right. Of which, the LED flashers don't make the clicking noise everyone is used to in their cars, so you have to jury rig other stuff.

The 'purpose' of LED's for most folks isn't less power consumption DTN, it's usually...

a. They turn on quicker and off quicker than incandecents.
b. They last MUCH LONGER than incandecents.
c. Vibrant colors are available.
d. You can avoid colored lenses all together.

QUOTE (capn tibs @ Sep 12 2008, 08:48 AM)
i thought the new HID vendor was supposed to put together an LED swap kit or something...just mentioning it as he could be a good source

True. I'll contact him this weekend.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:29 AM

I had 194's in the markers. Got them off ebay, burned out and flickered got same set and it did the same thing. I think I'm gonna get some from oznium. They were very tight though with 194's. like they were rubbing and maybe that's why they started flickering and quit on me.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:00 AM
DTN

QUOTE (RED ZMAN @ Sep 12 2008, 11:00 AM)
Right. Of which, the LED flashers don't make the clicking noise everyone is used to in their cars, so you have to jury rig other stuff.

No, they make clicking noises. They have a speaker and use less power.

Personally, I don't use the led flasher, No need. LEDs are quick so it just blinks faster.

blank: I'd recommend the one's I posted. they have 6 very high intensity wide angle LEDs. They're small and they fit everywhere on the car.