External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Installing A Sunroof In A 97

Old 05-14-2005, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Is there any kind of DIY?

I currently have no sunroof in place right now and would like a power sunroof. If it has no power I'm not going to waste my time.

What do I need to make this work? Where can I get the sunroof from? Can I get one from a junk yard and pop it in? Do I need to do something to stabilize the frame?

I'm a newbie at this and would like as much info as possible.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:50 PM

From what I know about this, its a big pain in the bootay, but I really wanna do it too. Thats the only thing I dont like about my car is the fact it doesnt have one.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:51 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i think it costs close to 1 grand if you want to do it professionaly. you're better off buying another tib with a sunroof.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:39 PM

QUOTE (tanc @ May 14 2005, 11:00 PM)
Is there any kind of DIY?

No
It's basically CUT a hole in your roof and make an aftermarket one fit.
IT'S A BIG PITA

QUOTE (tanc @ May 14 2005, 11:00 PM)
.... I'm not going to waste my time.

I'd suggest that.
For the money AND time you're gonna take to do this,... it'd be well invested in something else
Well unless you're not concerned about money, then hey, go for it.
Just get it professionally done, or be prepared for leaks
Even the pro's sometimes can't get it right, but that's what a warranty is for,...
Old 05-15-2005, 12:15 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

If you take your time and right it should not leak and I will proof it to you both, if someone could tell me what exactly I need. Another sunroof from another Tib? What about a different model? I'm also thinking I'm going toneed a new liner.

Someone with a bit more experiance help me out here.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:13 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

I would choose aftermarket sunroof/moonroof with profesional instalation.
Cause you will need to cut hole in your roof, there could be some sealing issues.

And Tib without sunroof may not have place for mounting sunroof (mechanism) inside the roof. Just a thought.

With aftermarket sunroof you will have a warranty.

PS making a hole in roof will make not so solid/strong body, it will flex in turns more. But couple of stuts should solve this problem.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:52 PM

Actually that idea crossed my mind sometime ago, I still haven't discarded totally yet, but, I wouldn't cut my roof until I am 100% of the correct way to do it.
Questions I would ask myself are:

1) Are there structural reinforcements on Tibs with sunroof? (If not, I don't see why they would be less rigid, remember even with the sunroof open, you still have a frame there)
2) Where is the whole mechanism anchored on the roof? (Actually similar to the above question)
3) What other OEm parts would I need?
A new Headliner?
Electric controls

You could even make yourself a custom headliner, maybe a black velour one or a light gray one, so that your Tib doesn't look as dark as my black Tib with black interior (including the black plastic headliner).

If you do install the sunroof professionally, like a dealer painting job, and possibly replace the rubber sealant on the sunroof (unless you buy one new of course) it shouldn't have to be a bad or leaking job.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:57 PM

If you wanted to install the stock sunroof into your tib.. I would suggest a body shop. Chances are there are more braces to make up not only for the hole you cut in the roof, but to support the heavy sunroof mechanism.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:04 PM

Listen to Mad

He's bang on
Now If you have LOTSA money, hey like I said before, go for it.

Just be prepared to spend probably as much on this roof as you would for a bodykit and paint.

Actually, come to think of this,...
The easiest / cheapest way to do this would be to go to a junkie, and get a Tib 99+ (so you have the nice sunglass holder and sunroof controls) and CHOP that off and get it to a body shop and replace it with yours. Get the headliner out before chopping the one from the junkie first ofcourse smile.gif
Old 05-28-2005, 08:34 AM

That is probably the best way to have this done. That way you have EVEYTHING you need at hand.