External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Installed Led Bulbs And Resistor Load Kits, And Now My Lights All Glow When I Hit The Brakes?

Old 02-11-2009, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (radu_rd2 @ Feb 11 2009, 09:03 AM)
I hate to break it to you, but those ARE resistors.

Yes, they are resistors. Hence why RESISTOR is in the name of the item. DTN is talking about going to RadioShack and just picking up some resistors because it may not be enough. These are designed exactly for what I'm using it for, it should be more than enough.

QUOTE (DTN @ Feb 11 2009, 09:13 AM)
Ok, so we've got 1.3V-3V inside the cruise control system trying to match up to the 0V at the brakes and make the conditions possible for cruise control. But, because of the forward bias property of the LED, ground is non existant until 3V is applied to the LED.

The soloution is to bypass the LED with a resistor so that ground is felt inside the computer

The resistor load may be supplying too much current flow for the rest of the circuit or the LED bulb may be improperly made. Get a bigger resistor.

Hmm. Nice read, and it finally all makes sence to me. But more than I need to know. The bulbs work great, so I doubt they are made improperly, either they work, or don't right? So other than that huge resistor load kit, WTF else do i put in there? I don't want to damage anything, but the lighting problem really doesn't bug me that much.

QUOTE (radu_rd2 @ Feb 11 2009, 09:18 AM)
And your advice is bogus, how can the problem be that the resistor is not big enough when his taillights light up? That is probably a wiring issue, no resistor value would make other bulbs light up...

Not just do they light up, but the cruise light now comes on again. This isn't the issue, the issue again everyone, is that when I hit my brakes, the lights in the car come on in a low glow. Maybe I should get a video, it's wierd. LOL
Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

That's what I meant when I mentioned the TAILLIGHTS (not the brake lights) and said that it makes OTHER bulbs light up..

Did you check if the cruise works when the exterior lights are on? Again, my hunch is that it's a wiring issue, I'd double check the wires.. Note that the taillight + might appear to be connected to ground when the taillights are OFF, hence why using a multimeter can be deceiving.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:46 AM

But but but, the bulbs are working! LOL J/K.

No, I haven't checked that. I keep meaning to, but keep forgetting. I will though, damnit, remind me tonight or tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You are using all the right bulbs right? Ive had a few come in the shop with normal bulbs that will do this. One burnt out bulb or wrong type can cause feedback to the others, causing them to glow dimly. That sounds exactly like what is happening to you. I dont know a whole lot about the LED bulbs but with the resistors you have installed it should basically be the same as having a regular style bulb in.

Maybe trying to ground the resistor kits to the body would help? Im not sure but its worth a shot if its easy to try.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:03 PM

Yup, they are all the right bulbs, everything works as it should, just with LED efficiency.

LOL

I had thought of grounding it to the body too, don't know if that would damage anything.

Remember, the lights only come on when I hit the brakes.

QUESTION!

Would it hurt to put the stock bulbs back in with the resistor loads there? I'd like to see if this happens with them, but don't want to damage anything.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:06 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

They'll draw twice the current with both the bulbs and the resistors, so you might blow a fuse, otherwise it should be ok..
Old 03-09-2009, 09:29 PM

Thought you guys might wanna see a little video.