External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Damn Car wash? Any washing tips?

Old 04-13-2003, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, old topic, but I saw a bunch of things that were not stated, or not true.

Only use cotton towles made in the USA.....other manufacturers use synthetics......synthetics scratch paint.
I might get grilled for this, but avoid a chamois. A chamois does a good job drying but any dirt stays on the surface of the chamois. Using a 100% cotton towel will pull any dirt in to the fibers and away from the surface of the paint.
Do not use fabric softner when you wash your towels. The residue left behind causes streaking.
WD-40 works as good as ANY commercial tar remover available, at 1/3 the cost.
Zaino is not only recommended for German cars, in fact almost ALL Corvette, Viper and Camaro clubs recommend only Zaino.
Before waxing your car, wash it with Dawn dish soap, it strips the old waxes off....very important.
I currently use Zaino, Meguiars Gold Class and Mothers. On a black car, I notice the Zaino looks the best, other than that I can't even tell a difference.
The best way to dry your car.....either take it around the block and dry it with towels, or a leaf blower.

Here's a pic of my car after a weekend of Zaino. I don't think there's a camera out there than can do it justice. Not one swirl or scratch is visible in the finish and it's the most reflective black I have ever seen.

[ April 13, 2003, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: AllBlackTibby ]
Old 04-13-2003, 01:32 PM

I haven't waxed my car yet, but I use Zymol, the blue stuff you can get at Wal-mart. Here's a good test on "waxes". Zaino came out first, but they don't sell that where I live. At $12, the Zymol does a great job.

Car Wax Test Results
Old 04-13-2003, 02:27 PM

Zaino Bros

They don't sell it where I live either.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:52 PM

so its the Zaino stuff that makes cars so friggin shiney. like cars at showcars shiney.
right zaino

DRew
Old 04-13-2003, 11:59 PM

No, thats's combination of good wax, good paint job, and good lighting.

The only reason I can say Zaino did better on black is because I did half of my hood with it, and the other half with Meguiars mirror glaze followed up by Gold Class wax. The Zaino is spendy, and a b!tch to apply, so I borrowed some from a friend before I purchased. I HIGHLY recommend it for people with black cars with a good finish. Other than that, one would be happy with something like Meguiars or Mothers. The trick is to always strip old wax by washing with Dawn, use a clay bar if needed, and then put forth the extra effort to polish the car before waxing. I never knew polishing made a difference, but it clearly does, well worth the extra hour or two it takes.

In the end, it's going to be up to you. You may not notice a difference between Zaino and brand x, just as my ears cannot tell the difference between a Sony or JL sub. Most of us only have daily drivers that we just want to look nice, so some of the above mentioned may be overkill for the daily driver.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:11 AM

Jeremy S.

With the glaze...I will leave a cloudy look to the paint, almost like swirlmarks. Almost greasy. Trust me, wax over it and pull the wax off...you'll be impressed.

Later,
Jeremy [/QB]
so you dont take the glaze off first...you apply wax directly onto the glaze.

DRew
Old 04-18-2003, 07:30 AM

Some products are actually formulated to work that way.

I'm not exactly sure what he's trying to say though.....perhaps he's saying wax over the residue glaze leaves behind?? I dunno.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:41 PM

The back of the bottle of glaze never mentions that you remove it that way ? all he was saying was that since it is a royal pain to remove, as long as you get most of it off, the rest will come if you wax it right after the glaze.