External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Carbon Fibre/kevlar Hatch

Old 07-01-2010, 08:27 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Count me out on this one. I've just signed my savings away to a house... sorry.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tib

So. any info on deals from those other places mentioned yet??
Old 07-06-2010, 04:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Sorry Guys, I've been outta town for the 4th. Going to follow up on the other shop I'm dealing with. We can all make a decision then. If folks are still interested, we can start a group buy thread when we all get re-located over to HA.

UPDATE!!!

Ok, I just talked to Aldo from BodyKits.org, He's doing some research so he can get me some hard numbers for the hatches. So far it looks GOOD!!! Going to get some references from him just to check and make sure he is legit with other car clubs around.

FYI, his prices are also just for the hatch. I think this might be the best option for folks. For those who want to drop in the glass from their old hatch, then they are good to go. For those who want the full benefits of Lexan or plexi, then they can go that route on their own.

Good news is they only need 5 orders for each hatch to get these run. I'll go ahead and spill the beans a little. This is not an official price but he said it'll be really close:

650 per hatch with 108.00 shipping. So.....758 shipped!!! Its a little more expensive than Regit, but we only need 5 orders per model.

We just need to get him the OEM hatches to make the molds.

He's checking right now with an OEM supplier to see what he can get them for. Any thoughts? I was thinking maybe just getting some hatches off ebay and having them shipped directly to bodykits.org

Again, its not the official price, but I wanted to get this posted so folks can get an idea of where we stand.

Oh, and shipping is COD! I thought that was kind of nice.

REGIT: Any chance you can get the company you are working with to knock the commitment down to 5 instead of 10 per hatch? I think we have a lot better chance making 5 per order, rather than 10 per order. Might be worth the extra $58 going through bodykits.org knowing we can actually hit these goals. I'll have to check on shipping as well, and make sure they will ship to Canada and not charge an arm and a leg. The company you are dealing with, they dont actually mean shipping to anywhere do they?!? If its TRUE, we might pull in some over seas orders as well that would help us reach our target numbers.

Update #2:

Just talked to Aldo. 699 plus actual shipping costs to wherever it goes. He said shipping costs can range between 108 to 200+

I told him about cf tec and their rates, but he seemed pretty solid on his quote. the 699 includes them sourcing hatches and the molds. not sure if that makes a difference or not

So......looks like Regit has the best quote so far, if we can talk them into lowering the minimum order. Or.....maybe offer an extra 50 or so bucks per hatch to get them to lower the order minimum to 5 for each, then I think we r there.

We need people to get on board and commit so we can start getting the pre orders going.

Feedback please! smile.gif
Old 07-06-2010, 04:41 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

I think we have an awesome start at this. Roughly 700 plus shipping isn't bad. I will try to get a hold of some people I know that professionally build drag cars in Illinois and see what they say about getting lexan or plexi for the rear window.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:34 PM

Sounds good! I think we are down to the two finalists! I just PMed Regit to see if CF TEC can lower their minimum order. Both companies are neck and neck right now. And, I think we all have a good general idea of what these will cost.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:46 PM

So here is what I have learned. Since our cars have a rounded piece of glass instead of a flat piece they are a pain in the arse to do custom. Almost everybody with a "Bubble" style (for lack of better word) need to have the lexan preformed from a supplier.

The good news to that is we might be able to pressure a supplier to make the formed lexan because RD1's and RD2's have the same glass I believe. Somebody shout out if that information is incorrect. So this might be a possibility. The shop I know doesn't want to do a job of custom making each piece unless they could guarantee each piece to be perfect.

If we could get a formed mold I am sure they would change there mind.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:42 PM

Vehicle: 1998 & 2001 Tiburon

^^^Sorry to be a downer, I just went outside and checked though. Also I apologize for the mess I call a garage.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:34 PM

That's cool Winston. At least we know before we made an idiot of ourselves trying to get somebody to form them.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:35 AM

Vehicle: 01/hyundai/tiburon

im in on this, wasnt sure i could afford it but now i can...
Old 07-11-2010, 12:37 AM

Right on Mr Muffin!!! Hold tight, we need to wait for the merger with HA so we have a fresh thread up and running for this. I'll be getting a hold of Aldo from Bodykits.org and let him know the situation as well. (this is the company we are 95% sure we are going with.)

We will be collecting deposits AS SOON AS the new thread opens up on HA, so be looking for it.