External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Cabon Fiber Hoods

Old 02-02-2005, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUOTE (Mad-Machine)
You got it backwards... when air flowing OVER the car is moving faster than the air going under it, you get lift. As for the scoop causing lift, that is also wrong, you are confusing lift with wind resistance. If anything, the scoop will be dragging air that is moving quickly over the car down underneath where it will speed up the air down there, possibly reducing some lift.. BUT, it will be putting stress on the hood because the wind wants to flow up and over and the scoop is keeping it from doing that, so it is going to want to rip the scoop off of the car.

Ummmm..you're thinking of a WRX scoop...I'm talking about the scoop on that the C/F hood. The hood shown on Importshark's car would do what I explained earlier. And I was wrong about the air moving slower underneath the car. The idea is that when air flows under an airplane wing, but the air above the wing needs to move faster, otherwise, you would create a vacuum over the wing.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:53 PM

ok, you are talking vented hood, not a scoop... I am unsure how much air actually comes up out of that or at what speed it goes out.. but if you can get the air to come out the top of the hood rather than down under the car, you will create a low pressure area around the front axle, thus canceling out what ever lift you are getting from the air flow over the car.. this is why cars like the Evo and lotus use vented hoods like that.. not only to vent heat, but to reduce the amount of air that flows under the car.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:19 PM

QUOTE (Mad-Machine)
ok, you are talking vented hood, not a scoop... I am unsure how much air actually comes up out of that or at what speed it goes out.. but if you can get the air to come out the top of the hood rather than down under the car, you will create a low pressure area around the front axle, thus canceling out what ever lift you are getting from the air flow over the car.. this is why cars like the Evo and lotus use vented hoods like that.. not only to vent heat, but to reduce the amount of air that flows under the car.

Actually, I think the Lotus has a similar design with the Ferraris, where the radiators are angle to take in cool air passing through the air dam and uses their fans to pull air out into the vents, which causes an induced downforce on the front end of the vehicle. Evos, are like Tibs, and any sport compact, where the bottom end really isn't a sealed-away, smooth underchassis, to allow for ground effects to occur, thus creating less-turbulent, more-laminar air flow. This would then make sense for low pressure to occur at the front axles, due to the open bottom.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Unkay guys, cool discussion and all, but I think the guy wants to know where to get some good hoods.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:46 PM

hmm well im mostly considering either the racing hood or the invader, but arent they pretty much the same? the only difference i can really find is the placement and size (invader more towards the front and a little bigger)..are those the differences or what?
Old 02-05-2005, 08:17 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

I have redz hood. Love it. Man, NOW he makes it carbon fiber. . . . . May have to trade the fiber glass one.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:21 AM

QUOTE (darkchylde)
I have redz hood. Love it. Man, NOW he makes it carbon fiber. . . . . May have to trade the fiber glass one.

Can you post pics mang? You are the only other one I know with it.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:59 PM

so no1's going to help me about the differences between the hoods?
Old 02-06-2005, 08:08 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

QUOTE (REDZMAN)
Hmm...

Wonder if they are similar?

LOL

Haha, didn't know man.... That's nice! Original

Do you have black fenders? wtf are you doing man? That's not on purpose is it?
Old 02-06-2005, 11:10 PM

QUOTE (Patreezy)
Haha, didn't know man.... That's nice! Original

Do you have black fenders? wtf are you doing man? That's not on purpose is it?

That's not my car. But that IS my hood.