Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Wire/cable For O2 Sensor Extension?

Old 07-11-2005, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to extend my o2 sensor about a foot total...already cut it away from as much stock wrap as possible...what type of wiring should I use to lengthen it? confused.gif
Old 07-11-2005, 02:35 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

anything about the same gauge wire or smaller (bigger diameter), will be fine. just go to autozone, they'll sell the wire, solder them, use some heat shrink wrap, and your in good shape. smile.gif

btw, is this the first or second o2, I'm wondering cause I'll probably be moving my second one this weekend... I was hoping it didn't require extension.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:53 PM

Make sure you get hi temp wire, autozone has it. I'd put it in loom too.

I soldered all the wires when I extended my second O2 sensor, and got a CEL. Removing the solder and crimping just the reference wire seems to have fixed it, no CEL since then, but there was some skepticism-filled debate about that on the HP forums. The sensor does get reference air through the plug and wire, that's a fact, so don't use any grease on the plug.

The first O2 sensor should not need extending. There's more than enough slack to reach the flex pipe area on aftermarket headers.

Supposedly there is a mythical bundle of wire tucked away somewhere for the second O2 sensor. But I followed the wires as far as I could, removing all the factory loom, and didn't see any extra length. Maybe it's different between RD1 and 2, but mine had to be extended a little over a foot.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:25 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

haha i didnt have to extend the wires
so i never got a cel

im special...
Old 07-11-2005, 03:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i don't see how there would be an issue with soldering, the better the connection, the less likely you should be to run into problems. and good thought there, definently get some high temp wire if they have it, and zip tie that thing out of the way as much as you can. fing02.gif
Old 07-11-2005, 03:57 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

faith rides the short bus. you had to hack your harness apart though. i used hi temp wire and electrical tape. then just placed em as far away form the block as possible.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:00 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

actually all i did was remove some tape and disconnect the harness from the firewall and run it through the chassis to where it could be clipped and ziptied to keep it from seperating
Old 07-12-2005, 10:00 AM

Thanks, everyone, for the input. PLanned on doing what most of you mentioned, was just curious if anyone had good/bad results with specific types of wire or configurations.

I'm extending my downstream o2 sensor...my headers have a spot for the upstream near the top of one of the runners. I ran about a month before cel with no cat between the sensors, so I'm putting one in the location of the stock secondary cat, and moving the downstream behind it. Right now, the sensor's zip tied to my strut brace (yeah, I know, not smart, but it's temporary)...no cel, but I want to do it right- too many problems with my car when I tried the quick/cheap/easy fixes in the past.

Guess I'll go with a similar gauge wire with quick-disconnects in some 1500-degree wrap I picked up at Autozone, then loom&tape the whole thing before routing behind the heat shielding.

Again, thanks...
Old 07-12-2005, 10:32 AM

QUOTE (faithofadragon @ Jul 11 2005, 06:00 PM)
actually all i did was remove some tape and disconnect the harness from the firewall and run it through the chassis to where it could be clipped and ziptied to keep it from seperating

Now that is a great idea. When I finally get around to putting an exhaust on my car, that is what I am going to do.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:54 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

thanks guys, i was wondering about this too as i got my exhaust.

will an exhaust shop do this? would they carry the wires too?