Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Window Welding My Roll Stop Mounts

Old 10-18-2006, 11:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am looking to window weld my roll stop mounts or going with one window welded, and one solid, cuz i need pretty much NO engine movement, because of my turbo manifold design and the new koyo radiator.

how much engine movement will i get with both roll stop mounts window welded under extreme conditions? more than 1/2" movement each way? cuz the space i have between the comp. housing, and radiator is minimal.

i was also thinking of engine tourque dampeners, but im not sure if i wanna go that far.

would one solid mount make it vibrate THAT much? i know itll pretty much eliminate movement, being solid and all, but i dont want tons of idle vibration..
Old 10-19-2006, 04:56 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

When you mention roll stop mounts, do you mean the front and rear engine mounts??

The torque dampeners being the passenger and drivers side mounts?

I am a firm believer of the windo-weld technique, lol. I have used it in my front, rear, and drivers side (transmission) mounts. It reduced engine movement by about half or maybe a bit more. Before I got my adjustable intake cam and optimized my cam timing, my hi cams caused the engine to shake quite a bit in the stock mounts. After filling the three described mounts with windo-weld, there was virtually no engine movement (like you said, maybe a 1/2" each way). Although under hard acceleration I am sure the engine moves much more. BUT, if you are smooth with your downshifts and dont pop the clutch out with your engine speed too low for the lower gear (rev match each downshift), your engine will not rock toward the radiator that hard. Under acceleration it leans back, so you dont have to worry about complications up front (near the exhaust manifold).

I would definately NOT go with a solid (metal I will assume) engine mount. One of my friends did it in his ricer neon, and talk about vibration!!! Everything rattled and shook, off throttle and on. Do not do this!!

I would suggest starting out by filling the front and rear motor mounts with windo-weld, and if you need it stiffer, just fill in the driver and passenger side mounts as well. One tube from NAPA should be enough to do all 4. Make sure to leave the rubber inserts inside the mounts, (just windo-weld them in there and coat around them). If you take them out (I did once), it takes days to cure and ultimatley doesn't really increase the stiffness of the mount that significantly. As for an increase in interior vibration, of course there is some, but it is rather minimal. When you first do it, it will seem really bad, but I think the windo-weld settles a bit and the vibration decreases a bit.

Also, when you go to fill them, only do a 1 layer at a time, maybe a 1/4" thick each time. This will significantly reduce the curing time. Don't worry about this stuff separating, it is tacky as all hell (make sure you wear gloves or you will have to scrub your hands with scotch brite pads to get it off!! lol).

Good luck with it, if you have any more questions please just ask.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:39 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundia/Tiburon Fx

A little more info if anyone needed it...Windo-Weld DIY
Old 10-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Banned

t, thanx for all that info. i will probably just be doing all four at once, just to make sure.. my manifold will be modified to be about an inch from the radiator, i just dont wanna smash up the new koyo at all, wasnt too worried about the stock rad. and obviously i didnt have enough space between manifold and radiator..
Old 10-22-2006, 11:50 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Good luck to you. Remember what I said about rev-matching for downshifts. Not only will it prevent your engine from rocking too far forward, it will save a LOT of stress from getting to your trans as well.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:17 AM

I pulled my motor mounts and welded them solid, it does have a slight vibration but it's really not the bad at all, the car has a much better feel to it since i've done it, If I where you I would just go solid and not chance destroying your new rad, trust me when I say I think you will actually like the way they feels with the solid mounts, when you drop the clutch it's just like POW!!! the power goes straight to the wheels. I did it cause every time I would pound on my car the motor would move so much the charge pipe would pop off the intercooler and my airram intake would hit my hood, now I have no problems at all and love the way it feels.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Banned

wow, so all four of yours are solid or just the front and rear ones? any pics of how you did it? are they just welded replacements? or what? please tell me how you did this..
Old 10-24-2006, 09:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I'm a little worried about doing this though my mounts are allowing way to much motion. Jaws seemed to believe that it caused his radiator support to crack where the cross member ties in. so i was planning on the koyo ones.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:11 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

so far the only cars that ive seen have that issue that jaws was having were rd1s....