Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Who has had an Optima battery for a few years?

Old 01-28-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon
Default Who has had an Optima battery for a few years?

Anyone who has had either a red top, blue top, or yellow top, can you post and let me know how long you have had it in your car? Im reading some reviews that Optima batteries only last 2-3 years max. I dont want to drop $200 on a battery if its only gonna last that short amount of time. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I had an Optima Blue Top for several years, I think about 6 and then I garaged my car and it died after a year of not using it. I didn't perform regular charging of it to keep it alive. If you let your car sit for a long period of time it will drain but usually will start up if you keep cranking. It's a deep cycle battery; do some research on how they work and why.

Why do you want an Optima?
Old 01-28-2011, 03:10 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Good battery, had mine for abit over 2 years and it never failed. I was running a sound sytem on it....not to mention I leave my lights on all day
Old 01-28-2011, 03:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I have a 10yr old Optima Red Top. Once a month I hook the battery charger up and let it run on the 2amp charge setting over night and the battery is good to go for another month. Im surprised this battery still works since it has dropped down to about 3volts a couple times when I had it in a different car but I would always charge it again whenever I had the chance. I had a yellow top that drained down to a few volts and was never able to ever get that battery to hold a charge again. I prefer the Red Tops. Also if you keep a water filled battery always full of water and charged they will usually last for a very long time.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I had a Red Top for 5 years until it started getting a little slow to crank in freezing cold. I call that a Very Good Life from a Texas battery.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

My Red Top is still kickin after 5 years and I have never had a problem. Infact the last couple of weekends down at the shop I have been bumpin my music loud (no ones there) for about an hour at a time before starting my vehicle for a 10 minute charge. Im pushing 2 12's with an 800 watt amp and the vehicle started without hesitation. The last time today that I started my car I went about 1 1/2 hours of music and there was a slight notice of the starter strugglin just a bit but that was after 7 hours of music and only 60 minutes worth of charging. You want a worry free battery thats about as close as you can get.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:37 AM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

i've had my red top in for 3 1/2 years now. works great for me. i leave the system going for hours when i'm working outside or just hanging out with friends
Old 01-31-2011, 04:52 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

I've had mine for about 6 or 7 years and never had a problem. It has been my daily driver until this winter. They are good batteries if you keep them charged.