Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Where to start...

Old 07-20-2001, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to start...

well im completely new @ CAR mods. my dad built me my first truck... and i helped him build 2 more afterward. we did all the work our selves, but im afraid that this lil tiburon i got ISNT n e thing like a truck wink.gif

id like to know where a good place to start is. also where i can get some parts. obviously ive checked out sharkracing.com but i want to see others as well.

when you say CAI what are you talking about?
my car is regesterd in Wyoming, so really i dont have ANY emmision laws i have to follow, theres no inspections, etc... so id like to get rid of my Cat, and all the other BS emmision stuff. i always yanked that out of my trucks... n e ways, youve got the idea smile.gif

TY!
Old 07-20-2001, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

A CAI is a Cold Air Intake. It basically sucks it "outside" air. If the engine sucks in air from anywhere inside of the engine compartment it sucks in hot air.

I CAI is the best place to start.

Then a Bored TB, and Bored/polished Intake Manifold.
Then you want to start playing with your exhaust. 4-2-1 or 4-1 headers, and a decent catback (or no cat) exhaust.

From there, things get harder. Cam replacement,..etc..etc..etc..
Old 07-20-2001, 01:32 AM

welcome.what the term cai means is Cold Air Intake,what that does is generally re-route the tubing that is attached the throttle bottle down towards the drivers inside fender (on our cars)then on the base of the piping is a cone filter,an issue that has come up is the filter getting wet from puddles or heavy rain,but a by-pass valve(AEM carries)cures that issue.What a CAI does really is provide cooler air to the intake,therefore cooler air=more power.As far as rippin out your cat,I would focus on removing your resonator(looks like a short glasspack or cherry bomb)and replace it w/ a straight pipe.You will get a better sound and on the tibbies some come w/ 2 cats,yeah it was a shocker to me as well,

I dont know if it will be for the better but if you ever decide to go w/ headers do your cat work then its hella easier.But besides all that good luck and welding is key(phuc exhaust clamps).cya wink.gif
Old 07-20-2001, 01:33 AM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

First you will need some stickers that say "HYUNDAI SPEED", those add about 25 HP, then you will need some stickers with Korean symbols, those add 30HP, at least. Then after putting those on you will want to cut your springs so you will look fast!

OK OK OK, I'm kidding, listen to Random (even though he makes fun of Sanrio).

Although, the Shark Racing stickers do look quite nice...
Old 07-20-2001, 02:54 AM

I just want to point something out, sounds does not = performance, a straight pipe is ok but you'll want a glass pack ( which won't hurt performance ) to drown out the farty sound when you get headders, I have seen many exhaust systems and whats impressive is a quiet system with good air flow, you hear no noise but see the air rushing out as it makes a low rumble
Old 07-20-2001, 06:34 AM

yeah... i realise that, but me being the truck girl that i am i just think cars sound STUPID with glasspacks! eek.gif
Old 07-20-2001, 06:41 AM

OH YEAH! n e one interested in selling some stuffs? rolleyes.gif im just getting started and need it. so if youve got it lying around PLEASE lemme know so i can get this goin

i just had a calaper go out too sad.gif
Old 07-20-2001, 07:00 AM

Your car sounds like it is having some real probs
If you pull out the resonator your car will sound like a motorcycle.Hehehe not really but kinda. rolleyes.gif
Old 07-20-2001, 08:11 AM

She's the blazer s10 type of gyal, anything less than 4l will sound whimpy heheehee rolleyes.gif