Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Walbro and SX Regulator Installed (tuning problem)

Old 04-06-2003, 09:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring
Default Walbro and SX Regulator Installed (tuning problem)

After many, many moons, I finally found someone that would make me a custom braided line for the fuel rail to regulator. The pump makes a nice high pitched wine too which is less noticeable with a full tank of gas. The sound of performance I guess. lol
I'm having problems tuning the regulator though. I played with it, turning it up and down, but keep running SUPER-RICH at WOT. What happens is, it'll stay at 43psi during idle, but raise to almost 60psi during WOT. suicide This is incremental while excellerating. I know it has to do with the vacuum line for the manifold, but should that increase it like that? I know I'm running much slower n/a because of this.

Side note: I'm running much better on the juice. I tested the fuel pressure on a 100 shot fuel jet with the nozzle off the intake and it held perfectly at 43psi. I tried out the 60 shot with it running rich and spun out ALL through second gear and had a F&TF torque steer with it. Whheeee!!!!

[ April 07, 2003, 05:05 AM: Message edited by: JonGTR ]
Old 04-07-2003, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to put whats called a RESTRICTOR in the vacuum line.

It will let the FPR not see as much vacuum/boost in the intake manifold.

So it will not get as high.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:44 AM

Wouldn't that affect it proportionally though? Meaning that it would lower the idle pressure as well as throughout the throttle range?
Old 04-07-2003, 05:00 AM
Red

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want it to do nothing more than regulate a perfectly static pressure, then simply remove the vacuum reference (ie the hose). Plug it with something of course so that the vacuum line suckage doesn't eat dust/debris.

The Aeromotive unit I have also does a 1:1 rising rate if you WANT it to. But if you don't want it buggering with your fuel pressure, you just don't attach it to vacuum and your problems are solved.

edit

P.S. once you remove the vacuum source, you'll have to reset it to the proper pressure. By default, it will spike up when no pressure is applied -- versus your current 43psi when under full vacuum.

[ April 07, 2003, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Red ]
Old 04-07-2003, 09:52 AM

Red:
If you want it to do nothing more than regulate a perfectly static pressure, then simply remove the vacuum reference (ie the hose). Plug it with something of course so that the vacuum line suckage doesn't eat dust/debris.

The Aeromotive unit I have also does a 1:1 rising rate if you WANT it to. But if you don't want it buggering with your fuel pressure, you just don't attach it to vacuum and your problems are solved.

edit

P.S. once you remove the vacuum source, you'll have to reset it to the proper pressure. By default, it will spike up when no pressure is applied -- versus your current 43psi when under full vacuum.
I was just about to come on here to ask if I could do that, because I just got done doing it. lol But, you definately helped me reasure myself about doing it. Thanks guys!!!!
Alls cool for now.