Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Using a fuel injector for water injection

Old 03-27-2003, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using a fuel injector for water injection

Has anyone tried using a fuel injector for water injection applications? It seems possible to have a fuel injector that pumps in water instead of fuel. Water pressure should be high enough with a decent pump. And that fuel injector can be controlled by an injector controller. Comments?
Old 03-27-2003, 02:48 AM

If im reading you right your talkin about a water injector for turbo aplications? Well i am to say that water injectors on a turbo car is a poor way to cool down air. Water is shot through your intake system and supposidly cools the air down. Your best bet is to buy an intercooler if thats the case. either an Air to Air if you have the engine space or air to water.

[ March 27, 2003, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Aoshi ]
Old 03-27-2003, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

biggest problem in using a fuel injector for water injection is water purity. You've probably read/seen problems with fuel injectors clogging gumming up from FUEL. Now imagine all that stuff that collects around your water tap, clogging up your water injector.

If you used 100% distilled water, you'd get longer life outta it, but even then, since so many things are soluble in water, it will STILL eventually gum up and need to be cleaned.

Assuming you found a fuel pump that can deal with water, a fuel filter that can deal with water, and a fuel pressure regulator that can deal with water...yeah, you could fabricate your own system using an injector controler.

However, for all that time, expense and trial and error of developing your own kit, you could buy on of the existing kits on the market. Unless you like reinventing the wheel
Old 03-27-2003, 08:21 AM

aoshi, water injection is a very viable solution/addition to a turbo setup. it's proven.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:07 AM

Yes i understand "water injection is the spraying of a fine stream of water into the intake system. Heat absorbed upon vaporization of the water has a strong cooling effect on the hot compressed air exiting the turbo. The reduction in intake air temp reduces the tendency to knock."

Usually it is best used when used with high boost. But many use it because they have improper air/fuel ratios which is a bad thing.

But as Random said to custom make your water injector would be lots of money. And if your want to be all wack and spend lots of money $$$$$$$ go for a One shot intercooler!!!

[ March 27, 2003, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Aoshi ]
Old 03-27-2003, 12:23 PM

for the case of TC it is "easier" to use a intercooler...but what about SC?
Old 03-27-2003, 03:04 PM

I guess we could do away with a pressure regulator, and a fuel filter...And probably just connect a high pressure water pump to the injector.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Fatal99-
You would want the filter to make sure that nothing got into the injector to clog it or block it.

Don't get me wrong, you could indeed built your own water injection system for CHEAPER than many of the existing kits on the market. The question is, how much TIME do you have? I have very little spare time, so to me, buying a kit I KNOW will work is worth more to me than "trial and error" on something that might not work because it flows too much water or not enough.

It is usually only used on High boost Turbo setups or in supercharged applications with no intercooler. (Xorro)