Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Just got back

Old 03-28-2003, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Tiburon
Default Just got back

Just got back poke from the machine shop and they said they couldnt soundblast my block for me because it has an internal sensor.

Is this true? They re-honed it a stuff and cleaned it. Magnafluxed it for cracks and stuff and it was all good.

I also want to have the same machine shop knife edge my crank so the crank can cut through the oil better as it spins. Guys, tell me your thoughts on knife edging. Is it safe? I know RPW does them to their cranks when they sell you a crank. Should I do it or not? suicide

im_with_
Old 03-29-2003, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

They could have removed the sensors before sonicly testing, but if they did all the stuff you mentioned, it should be okay.

Knife edging can show decent gains (10+ WHP) on V8 cranks, and on very high RPM I4, I6 and V6 cranks (8000+ rpm). I've never seen a definitve test/benefit on a low/mid reving I4 like the beta motor.

How much are they going to charge you for the knife edgeing and rebalancing of the crank? To me, that is what would determine if it is worthwile. For under $150...I'd think about it. For over that, dunno I doubt you'd see more than 5 HP at top RPM.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Tiburon

80 bucks for the knife edging.