Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Uh, Haha, Whoopsy!

Old 10-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra
Question Uh, Haha, Whoopsy!

I did a bunch of PMs on my Darling Wife's car (named Bad Robot). Then, I checked the log for my car just in case. Last oil change: 8,000 miles ago. blink.gif

So I checked the oil. Only 1 quart low. cool.gif Compression is around 185 all the way across, up to 210 with a shot of oil in the cylinders. I'm guessing it's the compression rings, not the oil rings, that are going.

I topped it off with a fresh quart, and I'm on the way to the auto parts store this afternoon for a fresh refill. Yowza. That's the longest OCI I've ever had (that I know of). Good thing I use high quality synthetic oil and a good filter. I hate to think what it would be like with a FRAM and dino-juice by now.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 05 Hyundai Tiburon SE

You think that's bad my mother-in-law went 45,000 miles on an oil change. Yep that right 45K miles, and it still runs!
Old 10-25-2010, 11:12 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

sometimes it happens when they forget to change or put a new sticker on. i don't think it's all that bad if you let it slip once, but it's not good if it always happens.

what kind of car is it?
Old 10-26-2010, 06:26 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I normally go 8k without an oil change. It can actually be bad for a car to do it every 3k. I do use synthetic, and have even gone upwards of 10k before changing it once.
Engines always used to need to be changed every 3k miles (that's what your dad and his dad and the oil change place always tells you, right?), but with newer engines, the least they should go is 5k, and even 8k is perfectly fine.
Times have changed.

Now 45k? That's a little much...
And don't forget to do a cycle of AutoRX every 50k miles or so, that stuff does wonders for your engine! It's currently running in mine right now.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I had run a flush the previous oil change. I aim for 4500 miles and don't sweat it, but 8k is pushing it until I get a used oil analysis that tells me otherwise. Changing the oil too frequently won't hurt anything but your wallet, and maybe the threads in the oil pan drain.